Parents What questions would you ask?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flicfliclay

Proud Parent
So hypothetically if you were looking to change your DD gym, what questions would you ask? What are the most important things to get answers about? And if you were to be leaving a gym that you DD has been going to for the past 3 1/2 years what is the best way to go about doing so? I feel like I am going behind their backs as it is ( darn the hypothetical just got kicked out of the way ) by even looking for alternative gyms! But how else do you do it on the down low? low down? umm the secret way? LOL My DD still has regionals to get through in a few weeks and then it is a real possibility for her to move on to what we think will be for the better. My darn crystal ball broke last month, so i can't see if it for sure will be, but I'm working on trying to replace it. I always know I will get some great answers by asking all the great people that belong to this forum! 3...2...1.. GO!

Not sure how to best do it on the DL, we were outed when someone saw us doing a trial at new gym. Do lots of legwork on the phone/email and don't give your DDs name or yours lol.
I would ask specifically about costs, hours per level and specific move up requirements (do they need certain skills, scores etc). I personally asked about crossover from xcel to jo because that caused a lot of drama at our last gym. Good luck!

I created a new email address today that does not contain my name so I can start sending notes to other gyms anonymously. I'd call too and just ask general questions about a trial. If they ask what gym your from id honestly decline to answer that, they should understand why.

When I called around, I always said we were new to the area from out of state, just gathering info, not even sure if DD is going to restart team . . .
1. Definitely ask about hours, especially at upper levels, even if she is still in compulsories. One gym worked for us now, but starting at about Level 8, most had to homeschool or virtual school to make the hours work. We would have had to switch again in a few years
2. Move up requirements
3. Coach to gymnast ratio at each level, how long each coach has worked there
4. General ages of each training level - some skew very young
5. Meets per year, how far away, do they host a meet

Since, in addition to logistical things (hrs/cost/distance), what you really are trying to find out is, "what is the experience of a gymnast at this gym?" and "what kind of coaching will my daughter receive?" these are two of my favorite questions:

1. What is the number/percentage of gymnasts who leave each year? What levels? Why?

(You can't talk to all the gymnasts personally, but you can see how they vote by whether they stay or leave.
Gymnast turnover is essentially a vote on the gym by the gymnasts who know it best. It is the closest you can get to interviewing them all.

2. What is coach turnover like? How often do coaches leave in the past 1/5/10/15 yrs?

(a gym that treats coaches well, will attract and keep good coaches. That is what your daughter will have, or vice verse.

After asking the gym, verify the answers. If the gym lied, you have bigger problems:eek:

Since, in addition to logistical things (hrs/cost/distance), what you really are trying to find out is, "what is the experience of a gymnast at this gym?" and "what kind of coaching will my daughter receive?" these are two of my favorite questions:

1. What is the number/percentage of gymnasts who leave each year? What levels? Why?

(You can't talk to all the gymnasts personally, but you can see how they vote by whether they stay or leave.
Gymnast turnover is essentially a vote on the gym by the gymnasts who know it best. It is the closest you can get to interviewing them all.

2. What is coach turnover like? How often do coaches leave in the past 1/5/10/15 yrs?

(a gym that treats coaches well, will attract and keep good coaches. That is what your daughter will have, or vice verse.

After asking the gym, verify the answers. If the gym lied, you have bigger problems:eek:
These are great questions!

I created a new email address today that does not contain my name so I can start sending notes to other gyms anonymously. I'd call too and just ask general questions about a trial. If they ask what gym your from id honestly decline to answer that, they should understand why.
Well it looks like you got the stealthy gym mom business down!

sent you a PM with a ton of questions I asked when we switched gyms. I am sure the HC thought I was nuts but I wanted to make sure this was her last move...

Good for you. Doing really heavy research upfront makes so much more sense than having the bitter breakup later. I always want to tell parents to resist their urge to "just decide and get it over with quickly." Your kid has to live with the decision for a lot of hours and a lot of years.

Good for you. Doing really heavy research upfront makes so much more sense than having the bitter breakup later. I always want to tell parents to resist their urge to "just decide and get it over with quickly." Your kid has to live with the decision for a lot of hours and a lot of years.
So true! I have supreme anxiety over this because i don't want my daughter to be a gym hopper, I want her happy and to be able to achieve whatever goals she has in a safe environment. Her questions were amazing and I wrote them down. So thankful for this group!

But how would you know if the gym lied?!?! And, I can easily see a gym replying that they don't keep track of the numbers or reasons gymnasts leave.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back