What To Do With Old Leos?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone :) I'm curious as to what you do with leos that are too small and no longer fit you or your DD? I have at least ten that no longer fit me and only about 5 that do fit (big growing year, I guess!), and I'd love to sell them to make a little money to buy a few new ones, but I'm not sure if that's logical. I wanted to sell them on ebay, but my mom convinced me no one would want to buy used leos. I somewhat disagree, because they're in good condition, but I'm wondering what you all do? I know alot of girls pass them down to younger gymnasts on their team, but nobody seems to do that at my gym. My old gym took all of our old leos, but not my current gym! Just wondering what I could do, because they're taking up so much space in my gymnastics drawer! Is there any place or leotard manufacturer to donate them to? Just looking for ideas, thanks for any suggestions!

Our gym has a big box in the office wear people can donate them. About 3-4 times a year we have a massive resale. Any profits that are made get spent directly on the gym and the kids (end of year team party, cool new outside activities for summer camp etc). It works well :)

I sell them on TradeMe (like eBay). People do buy old leos, as long as you are not asking too much for them. There are people who have kids doing gym who don't want to spend a lot on a leo, so if they can get something inexpensive and in reasonable condition they're happy. I think a lot of these people are in small towns or rural areas and probably at very small, mainly rec gyms, they probably have little to nothing available locally.

We donate them to the gym's boosters and they collect them at the start of each session they have a sale for $5 per leo (some of the really expensive ones go for $10) but the profits go to the booster club and the girls get the benifit of the "fund raiser" Folks will buy on e-bay used but you have to list that they are used.

A lot of people sell them on ebay, just go look. I have done this myself. The only issue is ebay absolutely rips you off on the fees. There is an insertion fee, a fee if you want more than one picture, a fee to put it in the gallery (and no one will even look at your listing if they don't see the picture pop right up in the gallery) fees for any extras (bold etc.) then there is the final value fee it is like 9% and they force people to only pay with pay pal (which ebay owns) and they take a cut. I have sold a leo I paid $60 and hardly used for $15 and ended up with $2 after all the fees and shipping. And you have to be careful with shipping, I always had "free" shipping ( I build in a few dollars in the listing to help cover it) as if you select an amount people will complain and leave you negative feedback if you over charge them .20 cents. Anyways long rant short IMO ebay is not the way to go unless you have something expensive to sell or you sell huge quantities.

I am trying to figure out a resale program for our gym, maybe like a consignment thing where you can sell a few on the gyms racks and have the money credited to your account and allow the gym to keep a small cut. I know other gyms have done this. Maybe it is something you could suggest.

Our gym has a rack for used leos, you tag them with the price you want and the coaches just put the money into a baggy with your name on. I sell all the girls old ones this way. In fact I have a bag of 40 leos that are headed there this week, as the girls are no longer in the gym. WHo knew they had 40 leos!!

Locally there is a 2-times-a-year children's consignment sale. Bascially, you tag your items (including your consigner number, price, etc.), put them on a hanger, and drop them off before the sale. After, you get a check for 70% of your total sales. I've found that I can only get $2-$5 for most clothing items (depending on brand, condition, etc.) but I can ask $10-$15 for a GK leo in decent shape and have them all sell on the first day of the sale. You just need one mom who knows what those things go for new and she'll buy them all. I like the idea of the leo sale to benefit the gym though. Maybe I'll suggest it!

I would much rather buy a used leo in good condition than spend all that money on a new one. It's amazing how much so little fabric can cost. Our old gym had a $5 used leo sale every year with the proceeds going to the booster club. It's a nice way to get cheap leo's but no money for my pocket. Our current gym had a used leo sale and the money went directly to the person that brought in the leo. I sold dd's average leo's for $5, great condition GK leo's for $10 each and old competition leo's for $25 each. It was a bargin for the people that bought them.

Our gym has a once a year sale, I believe it is on the Gymnastics Day or something like that. They are all priced the same and the money earned goes into your team account to pay for future classes, meets, etc. Works out well. And yes, they do have to be in good condition.

I've bought 2nd hand leos at the gym AND on ebay. I suspect the ones that sell best are the tiny sizes which probably never got much wear in the first place, and the long-sleeved ones that cost such a fortune and are worn for such a short period each year (where we live anyway).

I would give them to your younger/smaller friends or your coaches (they always know what to do). At our gym we have a prize box (for learning a kip most oftenly) that has used/old leotards in it.

I actually buy used leotards. If you have any that you would like to get rid of, please PM me :)

OKay that is two shameless plugs in one day. PLease do not use the CB to advertise for free! Next posts I see wil be deleted. You can have your link in your sig with three lines of text, but that is all.!

I have had good luck selling them on Craigslist in lots for about $8 per leo, for good ones.

I have tried that and the only people that inquired were pervs asking rather stange questions like if I was offering used under clothes for sale. How do you word the listing? Do you have any weirdos contact you? And do you ship or only sell local. Also if you do ship what payment do you take, as I heard there are a lot of scam artists? Sorry for the onslaught of questions but I really would like to sell there as it is free but need to know how to do it properly. Thanks!

Hand down to younger/smaller teammates, used leo sales or fundraisers at the gym, or see if there are any programs looking for leos for girls coming from lower income families. I sent a huge box of leos to South Africa a few years ago when my gymnastics days were over and they were well appreciated, shipping was very costly though. I'm sure there are plenty of gyms within the United States though who offer programs for school groups or lower income children who would love to have nice leos to give out to girls who love gymnastics but just can't afford a new leo. Check around, ask at local gyms, and maybe even get a group from your gym together to set up a used leo sale or leo collection for a good cause. Proceeds from a sale could benefit gym parents or gym programs and the products would benefit other kids at the gym, little ones love wearing team girls old leos!
I've heard of some foreign coaches who collect leos to send back to their home countries where leos aren't as readily available.

We don't really have a good place to buy leos and a lot of new rec parents come in asking questions about where to buy the leos. If their child is smaller than mine, I always offer the parent one or two of Bella's too smalls. They are always super appreciative. Many insist on paying me something and I always say $10 or $15 which they seem happy to pay. But I really don't expect payment and I tell them that several times. I hate waste and the leos still have MANY hours of training left in them. I'm happy to see the littles one feel like "big girls" in their nice leos.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back