When leos distract from the gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

The interesting part of this discussion is that the gymnasts probably don't view the leos as a problem except for possibly the color and sleeve length. Last night I talked to my older teenaged gymnast about the controversy. She didn't see a problem with the Leos. After wearing a leo practically everyday since she was five, she's used to wedgies and expects them. Its very difficult to do the type of skills they are doing and not expect fabric to shift. She actually prefers the higher cut leg to show off her lines, she thinks the lower cut legs make a funny line at the hip.

Mesh is also not an issue as far as she's concerned. Many teenagers now wear lace shirts with a tank or other top underneath. Mesh is essentially the same thing in their mind. They don't equate it with a certain type of look, it's just another texture.

I don't think that I've seen an immodest leo in all the years I've gone to meets. Have I seen leos that ride up, certainly but they weren't intentionally designed to do so. If the reason for wearing a leo is to be able to do certain skills to get a good score, the last thing the coach would do is to put the girls in a Leo that made that impossible. Worrying about body parts falling out is not conducive to scoring highly. Also, a leo that looks great on one girl may not on another because of differences in body type. Custom made leos might be the only way around that problem and given how much standard competition leos cost, I'm not sure anyone would want to go that route.

Growing up I was and still am, very body conscious. I've noticed with my girls that they don't have the same "hang ups" I have. They are much more body accepting than I am. That's not to say that they wear leos outside the gym. In fact, they are very concerned about buying anything they perceive as even slightly revealing. But they view their bodies as strong and healthy and are proud of them. Neither of my girls is embarrassed to put on a Leo to go out and do the most amazing sport which I think is great. And I'd bet that a majority of the gymnasts would feel the same.

I think gym is generally great for a healthy body image. But the general concensus around the gymnasts at our gym this morning was not favourable. They weren't embarrassed about body bits, just thought they looked wrong.

Anyway, I completely agree about the still photography. And having watched routines on the FIG youtube channel we were completely in love with Ruby Harrold's bar routine and didn't think about the leo once.

Reactions: sce
Change of topic: Can someone explain to me if there is a deeper, cultural reason for the US-girls always wearing pink? :confused:
Marta thinks they look good in pink. They interviewed her before ht 2012 Olympics and it was pretty clear pink and purple are her preference.

Also, this pink leo is not fitting so well on some of the girls either.

Wonder if the issue with our men and women are an Under Armour thing?

Martha has also said that pick contrasts with normal blue mats. I loved the red, white and blue training Leo's from this week.

My biggest problems with leo fit are extreme wedgies, um, camel toe and the possibility of girls the scrap of fabric slipping to the side in the front.

When over a third of the team shows a full moon during the floor routine, or a 13 year old child is wearing a leo cut crazy high with full hip bone exposed, that's immodest and inappropriate in my book. I've seen both a few times at meets in the US.

For world championships I personally would prefer that some version of red white and blue is in the U.S. leotards. But then again Marta didn't grow up watching the US Olympic athletes in awe, see our parents tearing up when the dream team won in men's hockey, or for that matter visited a military cemetery to honor a great grandparent or uncle who gave their lives in WW II. Some of us tear up on occasion during the national anthem for very personal reasons/sacrifices, guessing Marta hasn't walked in our shoes when she picks pink for a world championships. I enjoy leos from any country's athletes that reflect their country's colors or traditions in some way.

I hate pink, and frankly, the U.S. Girls have very high cut leos too......wanna bet that after martha retires, we won't see pink for a while.....

As long as they don't give a wedgie, but I do generally think of this not as a cultural thing, but more a 'sport' thing.....it gets to a point where it's functionally not conducive.....how can they concentrate worried about leotard malfunctions????
I can't go to a water park, and ride everything with a tiny bikini.....my bits will fly out!!!! Same thing here....teeny bikini=tanning.......water park, something safer.....

You can only go so high before it becomes a wedgie problem......everything else is quite 'in' with the undergarments......the nude stuff has never bothered me.....it's like rhythmic....beautiful outfits.

The other day a girl (13+) showed up to a rec class, with a sports bra, and skin tight booty shorts, smaller than bar shorts.......they sent her in to get a t shirt.

the possibility of girls the scrap of fabric slipping to the side in the front.

Seen some crazy high cut leos (favored by NCAA of course) but I've never seen or had anything like this happen. Actually, a leotard that's too loose and baggy on the bottom is likely to do more damage in that area.

Honestly the mesh does not bother me at all. In the videos it just looks like a lighter shade of fabric. In 2012 in London, the USA's qualification and podium training leos both had mesh over almost all of the chest area. Nobody complained about those. Plus, how is it any different than having nude-colored areas in a leotard? It's the same thing with an extra layer of fabric on top. The high cut doesn't look as bad in the videos either. I personally would not be comfortable wearing one that high-cut, but many leos today are that way. It is not just the GB girls. As long as it's functional and has full "cheek" coverage, I don't see a huge issue.

As for the mesh, that is so common place even in JO now. We see them all the time. Most people in the gym world know that there is a nude color liner under it.
Agreed. My competition leo is the same, all down one arm and in the chest area.

Mind you I thought our boys looked very smart !
11218613_10153232920653494_1231832636298662313_n.jpg

Go team ginger !

Honestly the mesh does not bother me at all. In the videos it just looks like a lighter shade of fabric. In 2012 in London, the USA's qualification and podium training leos both had mesh over almost all of the chest area. Nobody complained about those. Plus, how is it any different than having nude-colored areas in a leotard? It's the same thing with an extra layer of fabric on top. The high cut doesn't look as bad in the videos either. I personally would not be comfortable wearing one that high-cut, but many leos today are that way. It is not just the GB girls. As long as it's functional and has full "cheek" coverage, I don't see a huge issue.
1) Those US leotards from London were awful. 2) Nude colored areas on leotards are awful. 3) 2 US athletes did get wedgies after floor. Not okay, not functional.

Agreed. My competition leo is the same, all down one arm and in the chest area.
See, I know there is a liner, I still think some cute of the leo, with the combo of mesh and spandex gives an impression of not covering. I don't like it regardless of what I know is underneath. Aslo, some uses of mesh look good, some don't.

After watching the videos of the GB gymnasts, I have to agree that the design is weird. I 'know' there is a liner underneath but I truly get the impression the design is made to make people do a double take. It is just too much nude color in the wrong areas. I didn't find the design flattering at all.

Martha has also said that pick contrasts with normal blue mats. I loved the red, white and blue training Leo's from this week.

My biggest problems with leo fit are extreme wedgies, um, camel toe and the possibility of girls the scrap of fabric slipping to the side in the front.

But then they go and make all the mats pink too! I was telling DD today that I feel sorry for the gymnasts who don't like pink!

Gym nova mats are pink. I believe they are more popular in Europe. In North America the company ( AAI?) that makes the Blue mats are more common. Gym nova equipment was also used at the London Olympics. Someone please correct me of I am wrong.

GymNova mats are typically red. I think the pink ones were specially made for Worlds. I may be wrong about that, but every GymNova mat I've seen has been with the red and off-white color combination. I love GymNova equipment. I want some. :(

Pink has become a lot more popular lately. Perhaps the breast cancer awareness has made the color more popular?

Personally I think it's more to do with the increasing trend of gender stereotyping. Girls like pink, being *****y, long hair, princesses, sitting nicely and doing crafts. Boys need to run around, are risk takers, get dirty and are simple creatures.

The pink for breast cancer grew out of the "girly pink" thing.

But that's a whole other discussion. And probably one less seen here as we mostly have children, girls and boys, who like to throw themselves off stuff.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back