Why can't reporters get their info right???

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

McKayla Maroney: U.S. Olympic Medal Hopeful Profile - Yahoo! Sports
Just stumbled across this article on Yahoo. I don't know whether to laugh or scream. Soooo many mistakes!

"Height/weight: 5'2"/160 lbs"
Um, really? 160 pounds? I don't think so.

"Her difficult vault (called the Amanar) is competed by very few gymnasts in the world"
Well, I don't know about other countries (I mostly just follow gymnastics in the US) but this is now the United States of Amanars!

"While vault is clearly a strength for her, she is also a strong competitor on the other three events"
Well, I don't know about you, but I certainly don't want to see her up there swinging bars in team finals!

"[Her beam routine] was clearly noticed by Marta Karolyi and evident in her decision to include Maroney on the team"
I thought Marta took her because of vault and floor? She can be put on beam in an emergency, but we already have Jordyn, Gabby, Aly, and Kyla.

Career highlights: Does becoming the WORLD CHAMPION on vault not qualify as a career highlight???

I've probably missed a few and/or gotten some of my above facts wrong. But oh well, good enough to show how people pretend to know about gymnastics but really don't. The sad thing is, there are a lot of articles like this, written by people who don't understand gymnastics. Especially in the newspaper. I can't even read about gymnastics in the newspaper anymore, as it ends up with me yelling at it. :D

Hm......just wondering if the reporter had also been converting things to metric for the rest of the world's readers, and in looking at her stats mistakenly wrote down her height in centimetres where her weight should have expressed in pounds.

Geez, I know she has a huge vault, but it ain't that huge.......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back