WAG “Army” push-ups

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my old gym barley did these but called them army push ups. Instead of elbows Going out to the side, they stay close to your body. At my new gym, they only allow these push ups, and I can’t even do one. My arm strength is awful but I can do like 5 good quality pushups ( 10 on a day when Im not tired or sore) with my elbows going out. How can I get through doing these in practice without looking weak.

Honestly I feel you, my arm strength is also terrible. I can do 20-25 pushups with arms going out on a good day, less if I’m sore, but can barely do like 2 “army“ push-ups. I’d say just practice them at home and you’ll get better.

Another thing- everyone will progress at their own pace. Don’t worry about looking ”weak” at practice. it only matters that you’re trying, and that’s the strongest thing you could do. start by doing 1 a day at home for a week, then 2-3 a week, then 4 for a week and so on. maybe by June next year, you’ll be able to 52 or more…idk if that method will actually work, but whats the harm in trying :)

You can also work up to it by doing them on your knees so you can focus on form or do them with your hands on a raised surface. I always modify to an easier variation if an athlete is not able to do the intended exercise with good shaping and full range of motion. Quality over difficulty.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back