WAG 8 Weeks to Cast Handstand?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think using a floor bar is helpful to use at home to work on this. Straddle the bar with feet on floor and then press to handstand to get the straddle motion that is used. If she can do a squat on or pike on, a helpful way to think of the skill is that you are doing a pike on but then straddling your legs before your feet get the bar. This is close to the correct motion that is needed in terms of lifting your hips and getting the butt above the bar.

I think using a floor bar is helpful to use at home to work on this. Straddle the bar with feet on floor and then press to handstand to get the straddle motion that is used. If she can do a squat on or pike on, a helpful way to think of the skill is that you are doing a pike on but then straddling your legs before your feet get the bar. This is close to the correct motion that is needed in terms of lifting your hips and getting the butt above the bar.
Thanks so much!

They haven’t released the schedule yet, but it is almost always first week of December.
Honestly, that seems ridiculous to force them to get the skill to move up when meet season doesn't start until December. At both gyms my kid went to, they uptrained for the next level after states until July/August when they were told their new level. Our first meet was usually Nov/Dec. That would give them about 5 months to get the skills for 6.

Honestly, that seems ridiculous to force them to get the skill to move up when meet season doesn't start until December. At both gyms my kid went to, they uptrained for the next level after states until July/August when they were told their new level. Our first meet was usually Nov/Dec. That would give them about 5 months to get the skills for 6.
That is what seems fair to me! I wish they could have even more time, like September or October, to get a skill that isn't required to compete. I suppose they have their reasons. I truly appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back