Parents A post to look back on in years to come

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This is my first post in the parent forum :)
My daughter has been coming to gym with me since she was born and next week she starts her first development squad class (partly to keep her out of our hair in the gym, and partly because she wants to be like the 'big girls')
Ive seen A LOT of gym craziness over the past 20 years and want to make some promises before she starts lol
So here goes:
1- I will NEVER coach my daughter, either at gym or at home
2 - I will however be a good chauffeur and cheerleader
3 - I refuse to judge any session that my daughter competes in
4 - I will not discuss every detail of her training/ progression with her coaches ( my colleagues) and trust them with the process
5- I will allow anyone to slap some sense into me if I start displaying and 'crazy gym mum' traits
6- If my daughter asks to switch to soccer or netball (sigh) I will let her lol

Anything else I should add to my list?

For me it was fairly easy to turn the coach side off, and not coach her at practice or home, since I trust her coaches. It was much harder to turn the "mom" in me off. It would drive me crazy to see her misbehave in any way during practice, or slack off, or give any attittude to her coach. I am her mother and I am responsible to make sure she is behaving respectfully, right? Takes much more will power to sit back and let the coaches handle these kinds of issues. Had to tell myself, just like any other parent, the coaches will come to me if any behavior gets to such a level that parents must become involved(thankfully it never came to that!)

For me it was fairly easy to turn the coach side off, and not coach her at practice or home, since I trust her coaches. It was much harder to turn the "mom" in me off. It would drive me crazy to see her misbehave in any way during practice, or slack off, or give any attittude to her coach. I am her mother and I am responsible to make sure she is behaving respectfully, right? Takes much more will power to sit back and let the coaches handle these kinds of issues. Had to tell myself, just like any other parent, the coaches will come to me if any behavior gets to such a level that parents must become involved(thankfully it never came to that!)
Very good insight! I'll be sure to keep that in mind. Hopefully we don't have any behavior issues but you never know!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back