Parents AAU scoring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

AlexandraU16

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Hey everyone I was wondering if someone could shed some light on the differences in how awards/scoring works in AAU vs USAG? Our gym competed USAG (xcel) last year and we are competing AAU this year. A parent whose child competed AAU two years ago said something about “skill divisions” as in kids are put in awards categories based on their AA score but I’m confused as to how that would work? With USAG it was just age divisions and they placed in order of their AA in that age division. He was saying something about like “everyone who scores in the 35s gets put in a group etc” but wouldn’t that mean that a kid who scored a 35.1 would be last place in their division whereas if they looked at the whole age division they could be in the middle of the pack etc? Just wondering if he has misinformation or if this is correct if someone could explain it to me?
Thanks!

My daughter competed AAU for level 1 and 2. The skill divisions only came into play for State meet. The first 5 meets of the season, there were no skill divisions, only age groups. But for State meet, they were divided into skill divisions based on their scores in their regular season meets. (in 2024 for example, in our state it was Novice: below 36.475, Experienced: 36.50-37.975 two or more times, Advanced: 38+ 2 or more times). These divisions and scores will vary by state.

The way I see it, it gives the girls who have not medaled a ton during the season to compete against girls similar in skill, and gives them a chance to get on the podium. So yes, you would have a Novice AA champion, an Experienced AA champion and an Advanced AA champion. And it gives the girls in the Advanced category to compete against the best of the best.

My daughter competed AAU for level 1 and 2. The skill divisions only came into play for State meet. The first 5 meets of the season, there were no skill divisions, only age groups. But for State meet, they were divided into skill divisions based on their scores in their regular season meets. (in 2024 for example, in our state it was Novice: below 36.475, Experienced: 36.50-37.975 two or more times, Advanced: 38+ 2 or more times). These divisions and scores will vary by state.

The way I see it, it gives the girls who have not medaled a ton during the season to compete against girls similar in skill, and gives them a chance to get on the podium. So yes, you would have a Novice AA champion, an Experienced AA champion and an Advanced AA champion. And it gives the girls in the Advanced category to compete against the best of the best.
Oh I see! That’s really interesting. Do they average the scores prior to the state meet or is it based off the gymnast’s highest score?

Oh I see! That’s really interesting. Do they average the scores prior to the state meet or is it based off the gymnast’s highest score?
Oops I see you said if they score those two or more times. Sorry I didn’t read carefully

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back