Parents Abbreviations....a guide for a beginner

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I too do not understand some abbreviations. I understand the typical use of the first letter of of each word of the skill. Back HandSpring (BHS), BackLayOut (BLO) etc., but don't understand any other. Further, when more than one skill is described or a tumbling series, I am completely lost! Sometimes even when the entire word is spelled out, I have a hard time following. It is like learning new language, I have to translate word by word to it visual counterpart before I can fully understand what is being described. I guess it comes with more time in the sport.

DD (dear/darling daughter), DS (dear/darling son), CGM (crazy gym mom), BHS (back handspring), FHS (Front handspring), LO (layout), FHC (front hip circle), FT (front tuck)

There are a few to get you started...

Bear in mind also you are in the UK where much of the terminology is completely different;

BHS=flic
Kip= upstart
BLO= straight back
BT= Back somi
ariel=free cartwheel.

F0r starters :lol:

Just ask if there's anything you can't work out, probably easiest :lol:

HS -- also can be handstand if you don't see the B in front
FH - free hip also known as a clear hip (or FHHS free hip to hand stand)
FP - front pike
CW - cartwheel
UB - uneven bars
BB – balance beam
VT - vault
AA – all around
HB- high bar or horizontal bar
DB - double back (can be on bars for floor)

Thanks, I thought I was doing ok until I saw a reference to a RO-BHS-BLO and got stuck at the BLO section. Anyway, I think this might prove a useful reference guide for other new chalkbucketers.

What's the thing they do on bars when you raise your feet in front and then spin backwards?

Full or 1/1 = Layout full twist (ex. RO-BHS-Full or she did a back 1/1 twist)
3/2 = One and a half twist
2/1 = Double full or double twist
5/2 = Two and a half twist
3/1 = Triple full or triple twist
Whip = Like a BHS with no hands (ex. RO-Whip-2/1)

I don't think it was either of those. i dont think her hips were on the bar....her toes came up to meet the bar (just below her face) it was all very controlled and slow (perfectly straight legs/pointy toes). I'm pretty sure she then spun backwards on the bar (so she kind of pulled her legs over the top and dropped her body upside down at the same time). She had some support from a coach to achieve this last bit and ended up with her hips on the bar (right way up...facing forwards). I didn't notice the other girls in her group doing it. A coach is probably going to tell me that this is physically impossible....perhaps my memory is mixing up two skills? Either that or I'll get shot for giving away our golden bullet for the next comp lol. I recall being impressed at the amount of stomach control she must have to do it ( but bear in mind I was balanced on a chair peeping through a space the size of an orange in a high window (our gym doesn't really like viewing and this is the only spot you can see the junior bars from).

I just heard that the uneven bars are protesting the bhs abbreviation used for a back handspring on floor. Apparently the issue is there's a round off back handspring mount to the low bar from a springboard.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back