Parents Age 3-5 preteam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Keropi223

Proud Parent
Reaction score
What is required of most to go from preschool to “mighty mites” or the like… basically a preteam for ages 3-5??

In my experience it has been less about skills and more about strength, flexibility, and coach ability. Kids who listen and are able to apply correction. My DD got pulled to a similar class as a new 4 year old with pretty few skills: a somewhat bent legged cartwheel, could walk on the wall into a pullover or do a chin up pullover with a light spot, forward and backward roll, a bridge, handstand for 1 second, etc. I feel like it is often more that the coach sees some sort of potential and less a skills checklist at that age. But every gym is different.

Great answers above, and also looking for willingness and enthusiasm to try new things and fear management. I remember my daughter came out of her evaluation excited that they had been asked to do some things that she had never done before. They weren't seeing if they had the skills already, they were seeing how they handled themselves in tackling new challenges.

Great answers above, and also looking for willingness and enthusiasm to try new things and fear management. I remember my daughter came out of her evaluation excited that they had been asked to do some things that she had never done before. They weren't seeing if they had the skills already, they were seeing how they handled themselves in tackling new challenges.
Great to know! These answers are all super helpful since we are obviously in the starts of it but she asks every day when gymnastics is again but in preschool it is just 1x/week! Interested to see how evaluations go whenever they are & what they think.

I agree with the comment above. Strength, coach ability, listening skills. My daughter is newly 5 and on preteam. She's been on preteam for over a year and the new girls can't do a handstand or pullover yet.
Do kids at your gym all move up at a certain time of year/eval time or whenever they see they are ready? Is there a specific evaluation time to get onto preteam?

Do kids at your gym all move up at a certain time of year/eval time or whenever they see they are ready? Is there a specific evaluation time to get onto preteam?
My daughter has been in two different gyms and in each they pulled preschoolers whenever the coach decided (which seemed very random to us muggles/parents). The first gym also had evaluations every 8-10 weeks or so for the recreational classes but preschool did not have formal evaluations. Kids either got pulled or aged into rec classes.

This is exactly what i coach, it’s all about coachability and general interest and respect for the coach and around other kids. I’d much rather coach a seemingly less talented kid who listens and works hard, than a very naturally gifted kid who thinks her sh*! doesn’t stink. Also, I consider the parent’s behavior as well. We love to meet you and know that you are around, but then we don’t want to see or hear from you unless we seek you out for some reason. I don’t mind you staying and watching, but try to be an invisible spy, and try to avoid asking “how did she do today?” Everyday! Lol Unless we come to you about something, your kid is doing just fine. If your kid is looking for you and for your attention during practice, that is a big red flag

What is required of most to go from preschool to “mighty mites” or the like… basically a preteam for ages 3-5??
My brother, who was 4 at the time, did a pull over (which i taught him at the park), during his kinder class and he got put into pre-team from there. He's a 1 month into pre-team right now.

As a part time kinder coach myself, I'd also base it on the same factors as @CoachKT . Coachability over talent. Natural love for the sport too would also be a good thing.

I'd express your interest for pre-team to her coach as #1. They'll probably keep a closer eye on her from there. A huge plus, if your daughter is also keen on training more and genuinely likes gymnastics. If you could explain that to the coach, I'd put the whole situation on cruise control and let them handle it from there.

She's only 4, do not worry she'll have lots lots lots of time to progress in the sport if she decides to stick in it:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back