Parents Another good reason for keeping gymnastics fun and not so "serious".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Great article! I can only imagine when you have a gymnast with these character traits and is pushed to reach high levels at young ages how this would exacerbate the problem. I see these characterists in my own young gymmy and will do everything I can to minimize pressure and maximize fun every way I can! :)

Great article! I can only imagine when you have a gymnast with these character traits and is pushed to reach high levels at young ages how this would exacerbate the problem. I see these characterists in my own young gymmy and will do everything I can to minimize pressure and maximize fun every way I can! :)

Exactly! I am really in fear of what can become of a child if the parent doesn't willingly do all they can to minimize a child's stress. Society today is a far cry of what it was when I was growing up! I was allowed to be a kid. If the "Little Girls in Pretty Boxes" happened in the 70's and 80's, I certainly didn't see it in my home in my gym. This may have all happened in the elite gyms and these gymnasts will attest to how narrotic they became. Not all but the great majority will confess to living amongst stress.
I tell you as a parent of a young gymnast, I am constantly reevaluating my decision with having her in the gym at all. DD actually 'fell' into gymnastics. All for the sake of 'shutting' this child up- She would yell "Sissy!" every time she saw older DD from her stroller. The owner of the gym said, " Put her in a class! She is disrupting the team girls!" Well that did it!
Gymnastics teaches so many life lessons, but it also carries with it heavy burdens. Some gymnasts are not equipped with tools to help them deal with the stressful elements of gymnastics. It is our job as parents to intervene on our child's/children's behalf. It IS tough however.
Ask any elite gymnast who doesn't look a mess already what has kept them in the gym so long and I'm sure they would say, "It's fun! I couldn't imagine NOT doing gymnastics!" The majority of the kids get a thrill from thowing their bodies around. Crazy Kids!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back