Parents ANOTHER injury!!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Committed

Proud Parent
I would like to add multiple expletives ....... but I can't. So, imagine me saying them ;)

Last night at gym, when I picked DD up , she was complaining that her knee hurt again. The same one she hurt in October..... when she tore her patellar tendon. She hurt it during vault, RUNNING. This is exactly the same way she hurt it last time. She also tells me that it's exactly the same pain, in the same place.

I don't get it! She runs all the time! Her favorite game at recess is (and I quote) "chasing boys". Due to her last injury, I quit letting her go running with me because I was concerned about her getting another overuse injury.

I'm trying to get a referral for a sports medicine doctor instead of the pediatric orthopedist we saw last time.

*sigh*

Thoughts and prayers sent. Good luck with the sports med doc. I hope he figures it out and can get her on the road to recovery quickly.

I've got her back in her brace..... Icing and taking anti inflammatories.
DH is getting a 2nd back surgery on Monday. It's a mess!

Her 7th bday is next week, and she started crying when she thought she would have to be in her brace on her birthday (she chipped her ankle bone on her 6th bday and we had to postpone her party for 6 weeks).
It's been a rough year!

I'd be thinking about switching to swimming!

She does get a lot of injuries for a 6 year old. I think I'd be concerned that there's either an underlying medical issue, or her body just isn't resilient enough (yet?) for this kind of sport.

Have you spoken to the coaches? Would she be up for just conditioning for a couple of months and see where that goes?

I have one of the most accident prone 6 year olds I've met. But it's only ever been bruises and temporary tears (and one visit to an emergency dentist :rolleyes: )- she's never done the sort of injury your DD has…tearing tendons and chipping bones.

Not that you are looking for opinions, but I think she may be better served to find a different sport. Swimming, biking, something more low impact. She has had a very large number of serious (and possibly not so serious) sports related injuries for such a young child. Hoping for a quick recovery.

Yeah.... I get the viewpoint of having her switch sports, but she would just want to focus her time on soccer, which isn't any better - injury wise.
Plus they're weird injuries. I mean the tendon thing could happen at school during recess or PE. I'm starting to wonder if she has Osgood-schlatters or the sinding-Johnson thing (or something like that).
Purely saying she's active and high energy is an understatement!

She is young to deal with so many injuries. I agree about seeing a sports injury doctor. Is it possible the first injury never fully healed?

oh, if you only lived in my area, I could make some great recommendations for a sports med orthopedic who regularly treats gymnasts as well as a great sports physical therapist. I'm in PA.

She is young to deal with so many injuries. I agree about seeing a sports injury doctor. Is it possible the first injury never fully healed?

No, it healed. We got an MRI done and it showed a full-recovery. Even after that, she was out of gym another 2 weeks "just in case".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back