WAG Any liquid chalk opinions?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughters gym just brought in liquid chalk and does not want the girls to use regular chalk anymore. One of the team girls likes it but the rest do not. My daughter (and others) said that she flew off of the bar while using it. My daughter is working on level 9 and 10 skills and has been doing gymnastics for nearly 10 years. I feel that having her change at this point while learning such difficult skills and after so many years of using regular chalk is not a good idea. She has always used only chalk and does not use water on her grips at all. Please if any coaches could give my their opinion on the use of liquid chalk that would be great!

doesn't work for more than 1 skill. everyone is in a panic. you can't get chalk. but my sources tell me that shipments are coming in the month of October.

dunno- is the chalk in the gym the same as climbing chalk?

I mean, I know gyms use TONS of chalk, but most sporting goods stores still have climbing chalk if they needed something to tide them over. Or maybe if your gym is switching to the liquid chalk you can get your daughter her own climbing chalk and container to use.

Our coaches bought liquid chalk to try it but found it only works for very basic skills and definitely no grips. Maybe they will change their minds after a while if the girls aren't doing well with it? Crossing fingers for y'all.

I don't know any one that likes it but I guess there is a chalk shortage. I would ask if you purchased your own chalk could she use it. I know we have purchased some for my DD so she always a supply in her bag for meets.

Problem is it won't chalk the bar for grips like block chalk will (build up on the bar). Some people like to use it on their hands under grips to cut down friction there, but it doesn't really work on the grips and bars the same. But maybe the gym has a problem with either mess or supply. I suppose they'll resolve it soon if it's not working out.

dunno- is the chalk in the gym the same as climbing chalk?

I mean, I know gyms use TONS of chalk, but most sporting goods stores still have climbing chalk if they needed something to tide them over. Or maybe if your gym is switching to the liquid chalk you can get your daughter her own climbing chalk and container to use.

if it is magnesium carbonate in block form then it is. if it is powdered, then no. there are different grades of powdered chalk and none that are good for our use.

Our coaches bought liquid chalk to try it but found it only works for very basic skills and definitely no grips. Maybe they will change their minds after a while if the girls aren't doing well with it? Crossing fingers for y'all.

change their minds after someone gets smashed...

Problem is it won't chalk the bar for grips like block chalk will (build up on the bar). Some people like to use it on their hands under grips to cut down friction there, but it doesn't really work on the grips and bars the same. But maybe the gym has a problem with either mess or supply. I suppose they'll resolve it soon if it's not working out.

and before someone gets smashed...:)

So out of curiosity, Dunno, why is there a chalk shortage?!! Really?! My daughter still leaves the gym seemingly covered in chalk, so I'm thinking they've still got some?!!

I have wondered about the shortage too. My kids still chalk hands and now legs regularly. I have read about the shortage here; but haven't seen it at our gym.

i really don't know about the sources other than Italy. they shut down the mine in 2011. they no longer were going to continue mining mag carb. part of it was paying more to mine the product for what they began charging for it and no one could afford it any longer.

As someone said before, I've known girls to use liquid chalk UNDER their grips, however it will not work for full routines on UB. I find only really basic skills can be performed using liquid chalk

if it is magnesium carbonate in block form then it is.

Yep, same stuff is in my climbing bag as on my DD grips. Metolius and Bison have always made good chalk for climbing and its usually easy to pick up a bunch in the store or on-line. Most climbers have switched to chalk balls as they are more environmentally friendly and easier to chalk with when you are on the rock so plenty should be available for gymnasts. ;)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back