WAG Any suggestions for a Northern California meet?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

htimcj

Proud Parent
Reaction score
So we have a request from our parents to find a meet in California if possible in February. Northern Ca is best because we can get really cheep flights there but So Ca would work as well. Something medium to large size. Any suggestions?

If looking for Norcal in February, I would recommend the Winter Invitational hosted by San Mateo Gymnastics or Roseville Invitational hosted by Byers Roseville.

I am a little biased, but Winter Invitational is a great meet. Good meet location, very well run, one of the yummiest teriyaki chicken bowls ever at their snack bar, close to SFO for flights and very good competition as most of the top NorCal gyms attend.

Golden State Classic at Technique is another great meet, but it's in early January next year I believe. It's a great meet to start at for optionals though because the vault is very forgiving.

Spirit of the Flame used to be the biggest NorCal meet in February, but due to changes up there it is no longer worth attending in my opinion.

I am a little biased, but Winter Invitational is a great meet. Good meet location, very well run, one of the yummiest teriyaki chicken bowls ever at their snack bar, close to SFO for flights and very good competition as most of the top NorCal gyms attend.

Golden State Classic at Technique is another great meet, but it's in early January next year I believe. It's a great meet to start at for optionals though because the vault is very forgiving.

Spirit of the Flame used to be the biggest NorCal meet in February, but due to changes up there it is no longer worth attending in my opinion.

We've never been to the Winter Invitational, but the Golden State Classic and Spirit of the Flame are both good. Deltchev Gymnastics is hosting their first Deltchev Invitational meet in January in Reno, NV this year, too, if that's an option.

Link Removed

I vote Novato's but that my old home so I'm biased. They do run a good meet though.

Reno in winter, pass. Then again, I guess you are flying in, so that makes it easier. Party, party!

Most of the Norcal meets are run well and nice. They have to be. Down in Socal, where they actually limit the cost of meets means they are cheaper and they are cheaper on everything. That's how it is.

Technique does bring in tasty food and as a coach with an appetite, I like tasty food (even if I don't really get to eat it).

Meets out in Sacramento are so much easier to travel to and park. Good luck on that in the Bay area. Spirit of the Flame, not so bad in that respect.

Thanks for the replies. Does the Spirit of the Flame and Winter Classic meets have sessions on Sundays? Can you request your team to compete on another day? We have church and flight issues with Sunday meets. The one lonely airline that flies to San Fran only goes Thursday and Sunday. I really liked the look of the Byers meet and the Golden State Classic but we have a conflict with both of them :)

Both meets had Fri, Sat and Sun sessions last year.

Sometimes the meet director can accommodate specific day requests, but not always. Most Nor Cal meets will only have the Level 9s and 10s on one day (either Saturday or Sunday) with the other day going through Level 8 competitors.

Per the current Nor Cal Schedule, Spirit of the Flame will be 2-10 and Xcel on Saturday and 2-8 and Xcel on Sunday. Winter Invitational with be 3-8 and Xcel on Saturday and 3-10 and Xcel on Sunday.

Thanks for the info. I think we will have to keep looking. Pain to be so limited on cheap air travel.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back