MAG Anyone got the new British Gymnastics setwork routines?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
Son competed L1 at the National Grades this year, but I now learn that BG have changed the routines for next year, so the info I do have for L2 is out of date.

Anyone got any info on what the new routines are?

Excellent... thank you for posting this.

Last edited:
This is so interesting to read! The British system puts a much greater emphasis on physical preparation and handstands at ages 8-10 than the current us system. That seems like a superior approach although I bet it scares off some little boys who don’t have the focus to do boring strength and flexibility work. It’s also interesting that you start on the strap bar rather than the full-size horizontal bar. At our gym, most of the 8-year-olds have never touched the strap bar.

Here is the US version for comparison:

This is so interesting to read! The British system puts a much greater emphasis on physical preparation and handstands at ages 8-10 than the current us system. That seems like a superior approach although I bet it scares off some little boys who don’t have the focus to do boring strength and flexibility work. It’s also interesting that you start on the strap bar rather than the full-size horizontal bar. At our gym, most of the 8-year-olds have never touched the strap bar.

Here is the US version for comparison:
Thanks for that. Interesting to see.

I don't know what it's like in the US, but the National Grades are (or at least were - these new ones look a bit more testing) nowhere near the limit of their abilities.

So Josh was quite happy competing cast to multiple giants on high bar, and training the same without straps, but the Nationals actually deducted points for a full rotation.

Similarly on vault, tuck front from springboard (no table) was basically just a warm up when he wasn't competing it...

Thanks for that. Interesting to see.

I don't know what it's like in the US, but the National Grades are (or at least were - these new ones look a bit more testing) nowhere near the limit of their abilities.

So Josh was quite happy competing cast to multiple giants on high bar, and training the same without straps, but the Nationals actually deducted points for a full rotation.

Similarly on vault, tuck front from springboard (no table) was basically just a warm up when he wasn't competing it...
Is this the regular routines, or is this more like the US Future Stars, an early elite path?

Oh! Okay. Then these routines are actually quite similar to our Future Stars program which is for 8-12-year-olds and precedes junior elite, which starts at 12. Unfortunately, so few gymnast do the Future Stars program that they are discontinuing it (a bummer for my kid who did well in the testing this year). They haven’t yet announced what they plan to replace it with. Our Future Stars boys still compete the regular levels. Is that the same in the Uk?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back