Arching her giants

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dancengym

My dd will be competing Level 7 next weekend. She did three meets of L6. We found out just last week she will definitely competing L7 at the next meet which is next weekend. Get this, she will be getting her floor routine four days before her first L7 meet. She has all her skills and was given her beam routine and bar routine three weeks ago. Anyway, she will be competing two giants to a flyaway or layout? I saw her bar routine today and she actually looks good except she has a pretty significant arch when performing her giants. One, is there a deduction on form on L7 giants? And if so, how much? And two, it would appear to me that she may be developing a bad habit that may bite her later. Is this an accurate assumption? Looks like she may be driving the skill with her back and flexibility instead of muscle/strenght. Any insight on this will be greatly appreciated.

it's pretty normal. baby giants and clear hips will help. eventually her tap will tap at the right time for her body (type) and that will help also. and over time she will use her stomach/chest muscles more and more and back w/arch less.

Good luck to your daughter at her first L7 meet! Our daughter competed her first L9 meet with a beam routine that she was given a few days before the meet and she forgot major portions of it but somehow managed to do what she remembered and get through it. I'm sending positive thoughts that your daughter will sail right through her floor routine. If she forgets pieces then I would just consider it feedback to her coaches that perhaps they should teach the routines more than a few days before the meet.

Tough getting a floor routine so close to the 1st meet. Tell her to remember this is optional though so if she forgets something(especially some small dance element) nobody will notice. Usually the L7 floor routines are kept pretty simple to avoid extra deductions and just get the girls used to doing their own routine.
Yes, they do deduct on giants with an arch at L7. Thats something she and her coaches will have to work on in the gym to correct and it may take awhile.

Tell her to remember this is optional though so if she forgets something(especially some small dance element) nobody will notice.
Yeah, we've had girls forget a part of their routine - some freeze and i remember one poor girl that ran off the floor crying.
The judges really dont know what their choreography 'should be', and we had one girl who made up a significant portion before she remembered how the routine should go! She actually got a really good score!
You should have seen the coaches look of horror though!

As I tell my girls, if you forget the routine, get the required elements done and then just flail your way through the rest. NObody will know if you flail well!

I am sure she will do great, those archy giants will pass when she gets a bit stronger.

That just happened to my DGD, because the tumbling passes were switched around she had to leave a really cool move out of the ending and re-choregraph something to get to the end of the music because changing the passes and removing the end caused her to end up with too much music....other than I, personally, missed seeing those cool ending moves (which were not part of the requirments anyway), I would not have known it changed at all...The gymnasts seem to know what they need to do and they do it...very impressive.

a few years ago...one of our level 10 gymnast's forgets her beam routine half way thru. was national beam champion the season before, was a level 10 for 4 years at that point, and had the same beam construction for 3 years. only the skills had changed and been added over those years.

when she realizes that her mind froze...she turns to my wife who was standing at the end of the dismount mat to hold it for this athlete and says "i forgot what comes next...what is it?" everyone busted out laughing right along with the judges. i mean...how can you not. she was 16 and everyone knew she had been jo national beam champ the season before.

you see...it's called gymnastics!!! :)

The coach of the amazing Nina McGee (competing for Denver next year) told me she forgot her routine at the first meet of level 4, 5 ,6 ,7 and 8, but by 9 had figured it out! It happens, is all I can say

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back