WAG Are buckle grips safer?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Dad1234

Proud Parent
Reaction score
I recently heard that higher level gymnasts should have buckle grips verses Velcro grips. My daughter is starting to swing giants but she doesn’t want buckle grips. She is worried she won’t be able to buckle them. She wants to continue with Velcro grips. Is this info that was shared with me about grips accurate info? Is there a safety issue where buckle grips are safer for higher levels?

Also, how long do grips last? I was told one year. I heard this from someone who sells grips and would like to know if this is just a way to get repeat customers or if they wear out enough after a year that they are no longer safe.

My son wore velcro thru L9 and then switched to grips with one buckle and velcro. He never felt like he could get the buckles tight enough, so he preferred that. I think it depends on comfort level.

Grip lifespan varies depending on skills. Doing release moves is harder on grips. Coaches should be able to inspect them to see how they are doing, but I do think it was every 12-15 months for my son.

My daughter was happier after switching to double buckles because she feels more secure with them. Buckling them is easy enough. Even if it takes an extra minute to do buckles at the beginning of the rotation, that saved her tons of time when compared to constantly having to re-adjust the Velcro because she'd feel they were loosening with use. As an upper level optional at a non-intense gym, her grips last about a year.

The top of the grips are exactly the same, you just take the risk of the Velcro coming loose when they are on the bar as opposed to the buckles that will stay done up. We always go Velcro for first pair and encourage buckle after that. We have had light level 5’s and 6’s get 2 years out of their grips and heavier higher levels only 6-9 months. Once they are giant ing and circling a lot they will wear out faster, also depends on the amount of water they use. As soon as they stretch out and start looking thin on the sides it is time for a new pair.

Buckle grips are great IF there is a setting that is perfect for the gymnast's wrist.
If your daughter doesn't want buckle grips and the gym isn't forcing it, she can stay with velcro. If the velcro gets loose (won't stay put) or the grips are stretched out, they should be replaced.
My OG wore grips her last year. She preferred velcro. She wore neoprene wristbands and actually folded half the wristband over the velcro to make sure it was secure (and so she wouldn't play with the grips between turns).

Our girls all go right to double buckle when they get grips. My daughter never had any issues with them

I've always worn double buckle. All the gyms I've been at have required at least one buckle. Whether that is single buckle, one buckle and one velcro, or double buckle, was up to the gymnast and their family.

My dd started with velcro as switched to double buckle just before L7 when she started training bar transitions. It was her decision, with recommendation from her coaches.

Just as an aside - I saw many women in the Olympics wearing velcro grips and Lots of college gymnasts wear them as well. It really is preference. The velcro strips deteriorate fast because of the chalk. That's one of the reasons why you'll see rubber bands around the velcro. So you may end up replacing them more often due to that, not the leather grip itself.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back