WAG Are they very strict on FX time limits?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

sevenatenine2

Coach
Proud Parent
Reaction score
I have a great piece of L6 music that is about 2 seconds too long. I just was wondering if it's something they usually time at meets or if it's something we would need to figure out how to make shorter. Thanks!

Yes, they usually time. That would be a 0.1 deduction at each meet. Someone musically/computer inclined should be able to cut this music for you.

We have ours hold their start pose if the music is a couple seconds too long. We actually have one girl that waits an 8 count before moving. Haven't had any issues.

In my experience it is not common to cut music too long and then hold the start pose to compensate for it. Obviously the intention of the time limits was to have the whole routine within it. However, it is also true that the timer should start the time when the gymnast starts moving, and stop the time when she stops moving.

Usually there is a few beats of music before the choreography picks up either way.

as a parent who has timed floor events for a few meets, yes, they are picky. more so at states. at states the head judge had me call out the time (there were 4 judges and some drama going on with the head judge and one at the other table that was very interesting too!). i actually got sweaty during the meet b/c i didn't want any of the girls' times to go over. only 1 time did it and it was only by a couple of seconds (at a regular meet). i was told by a parent at the meet prior that the floor judge got annoyed when she told her they went over so she was like, don't say anything but then the parent working with me commented on the time being over and the judge took off .10. i felt so bad! that was it though. at states, a judge actually said, yes they should know by now how long their routine is and it should not go over. i will say that we don't start timing until the gymnast actually moves (the judges are very vocal about this when you go over the rules), so if it's only over by a couple of seconds, she can start the routine a few seconds into the music and all will be fine.

ps - or hold the pose at the end. we stop timing when the gymnast stops, not when the music stops. also made very clear by the judges.

ps - or hold the pose at the end. we stop timing when the gymnast stops, not when the music stops. also made very clear by the judges.

Not finishing in time with the music is a deduction here. Early or late.

Not finishing in time with the music is a deduction here. Early or late.
well my dd's routine ends before the music does and it was choreographed to do that by a level 10 judge who also had a very illustrious gymnastics career so i think she probably knows the in's and out's of deductions like the back of her hand! she holds her end pose for at least 2 seconds and it goes with the music. it's quite obvious when someone finishes early/late but it's also quite obvious when they finish and hold their finish pose a couple of seconds and it is meant to be that way. i have been told at each meet that i stop the clock when the gymnast stops, not when the music does. so if they are looking to shave a second or two off, i think they can do it at the end. i've seen gymnasts finish their routines in time with the music and salute and walk off with the music still playing. which i find odd. why would you not get the correct cut of music for your routine?

well my dd's routine ends before the music does and it was choreographed to do that by a level 10 judge who also had a very illustrious gymnastics career so i think she probably knows the in's and out's of deductions like the back of her hand! she holds her end pose for at least 2 seconds and it goes with the music. it's quite obvious when someone finishes early/late but it's also quite obvious when they finish and hold their finish pose a couple of seconds and it is meant to be that way. i have been told at each meet that i stop the clock when the gymnast stops, not when the music does. so if they are looking to shave a second or two off, i think they can do it at the end. i've seen gymnasts finish their routines in time with the music and salute and walk off with the music still playing. which i find odd. why would you not get the correct cut of music for your routine?

Different rules different country!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back