Asking to do grades?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xrachx

Coach
Proud Parent
I've been a bit awol lately, birthdays and gym comps taking up all my time lol

As I mentioned before, DD came 7th recently in a regional rec level comp, last weekend she came 2nd in a tumble and trampette comp.
All very basic routines that DD can do with her eyes closed, but HC wanted to get her used to competing.

DDs team is now splitting off into groups ready for next year's comps: regional grade 6, regional grade 5, and competitive rec. She's got all the skills for grade 6 (from what we've been seeing and what other parents saying), however she's been placed with the group doing comp rec basic levels.

She's only been at her club since Sept, so I'm a bit lost as to whether to talk to HC about considering DD for grades or not. DD hasn't completed floor or beam for the club yet (as there wasn't time to choreograph a routine for regional comp), so that may be why HC is holding her back.

But I'm worried that DD will have lost interest to be considered this time next year if she's stuck doing the basics for another 12 months. DDs already told me as much, and how bored she's been training for the T&T (going from training FHS/BHS to doing forward rolls would do that to any gymmie!)

Should DD or I speak to the HC about our concerns, or trust she knows what's best?
Any advice would be incredibly appreciated! Thanks for reading :)

She has obviously done well so far. I would tell the head coach she is really keen to do grades and ask if there is any chance she would be considered for them either this year or next year. It might be that she is new and they are not sure or that they think she isn't quite ready or a whole host of other reasons including not knowing she is keen or prepared to do the hours needed. Also ask what does she need to work on to be considered.

Clubs have very different criteria for grades. Some clubs allow all children who have the moves to take part, others only those with a chance of winning or who have a certain look or age. Some clubs concentrate more on levels for older ones and grades for younger ones. Finding out how they approach grades might help you understand why your dd was not selected this year. If she isn't interested in the t & T option it might be worth mentioning now before she gets stuck with it.

My youngest dd has her first Tumble & Trampette comp next month and will be doing the new grades next year, have no idea if she will be doing 6 or 5, she can only do one of those due to her age, she will not be old enough to do 4 for 2 years.

I think boredom is an important thing to consider.
Not sure if you remember but my eldest tried a new gym around the same time as yours - everything was all new & exciting for a month, but as she'd kind if taken a backward step skill wise and wasn't learning new skills/old best skills she soon got bored and only lasted another month.
I would chat to them if you can, I know it's not easy.

Not sure if it's the same for all regions but I know for us once you've done a grade you are only eligible to compete floor and vault at novice level or 4 piece at pre-novice. Could it be that HC is looking ahead to future comps that year (after grades) and that maybe DD doesn't yet have skills required and so would be out of competition until the next set of grades?

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

I had a long chat with DD before training today, and asked her what she wanted to do. She decided to chat with the HC herself, which she did, and she's agreed DD can work towards grades. They've rejigged the warm up now to prepare for grades, which has let DD skills shine too.

I had a chat with HC after the session and she said she's really impressed by DD, she knows she's strong and flexible, as well as a hard worker, so there is definitely potential for her to do well.

Glad DD made the decision herself and acted on it, so at least she won't regret not asking!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back