WAG Average strength of compulsary gymnasts

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I was wondering how strong are the different level gymnasts. For example at each level, what can they do? Out of curiosity, I was trying to figure out if my daughter should work on more leg lifts and chin-ups at home. She is only in level 2, age 7, but virtually all conditioning stopped back in August when routines/meets began.

This is what she can do..
3 sets of 10 leg lifts..with great form
3 sets of 5 chin-ups..with funky legs
3 sets of 8 (not sure what to call it) hold chin momentarily and go to candle position and back to chin..repeat

Is this strength within the norm? I'm concerned, because she hasn't really gained any strength since August.

Sounds right about average for a gymnast of her age and level. Sounds like her coaches know what they are doing. In a dream world, she'd be able to do more reps of chin-ups with clean legs, but if she can do three sets of 5 with relatively little rest in-between, I'd say she is doing quite well for a level two.

The only way this........ "daughter should work on more leg lifts and chin-ups at home" .....will provide a long term benefit is if it's something she's already trying to do on her own. Working on strength and flexibility are things kids need to buy into, heart and soul, for them to put in the effort it takes to make progress.

Mention to her you'll help her with any reasonable thing she wants to do at home, and then wait.

It really varies. Of course many gym set certain standards for each level but it's not as cut and dry as that.

8 chin levers for a 7yo L2 is impressive. 5 pullups is alright. 3 sets of 10 HLL is good. Time to start making her do them from L or to candle after touching her toes to the bar.

Ideally, I would expect a L5 gymnast to be able to climb a rope about 10-15 feet without their legs preferably in L. But really decent old L5/L4 can be done while they can only climb the rope with their legs with no prayer of a legless rope climb. I would expect a L3 gymnast to do 3-5 Hanging Leg Lifts toes to the bar. 10 would be awesome, 5 good and 3 decent but many of them probably wouldn't be able to touch the bar with their feet without some form error.

Hmmm....I have no idea and never did.
But here's my two cents....I would let the coaches worry about it. Home is home....let her chill at home....if you want her to be happy and still having fun 7 years down the road, I wouldnt' worry about her strength. You are her mom.....let the coach do the coaching!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back