WAG Back flip on trampoline drills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

superNova08

Coach
Gymnast
Reaction score
So, my mom just bought a new giant trampoline for our backyard. Yes, I'm aware, this is really dangerous. My sister (3yo) is only allowed to do any sort of anything other than just jump without a spot from me since I'm the only one who knows how to spot in our household. Anyway, I've been working on back tumbling for a while. I know that at this point there's no way I'm getting a BHS. My back is too flexible and so I undercut - no matter what surface I use or how much of a spot I have. I'm strong enough to do it but I really struggle with keeping my spine straight. I quit gymnastics actually because of this and my struggles on beam about a year and a half ago. I can still do a FHS, FT, front layout, front pike, and front 1/2. I've been working on front fulls into a pit at open gyms just for fun. I'm hoping to try and get my BT on the trampoline and maybe a ROBT on said trampoline. Is there anything I can do to prepare myself for this? I used to be able to do a ROBT with a spot off a tumble track into a pit, but that was over a year ago. I'm nervous to do this without properly building up, but I don't know what drills I can do on the trampoline at home. We have panel mats (2) and a small wedge mat I can use if that helps.

What drills can I do to build up to a back tuck?

My back is too flexible and so I undercut - no matter what surface I use or how much of a spot I have. I'm strong enough to do it but I really struggle with keeping my spine straight
With proper muscle control you should be able to keep your back straight no matter how flexible you are. The fact that you can't sounds a bit concerning to me, honestly. It could be that it's not a strength issue but a technique issue. However, have you ever been checked for hypermobility? If you have such a mobile spine, you really might want to see a PT to check. Without the right kinds of strength to support it, a hypermobile spine can lead to damage. Not saying you definitely have this, but it may be worth checking some time. Just how mobile is your spine btw?
I'm hoping to try and get my BT on the trampoline and maybe a ROBT on said trampoline.
how big is the trampoline at home and how big is it at the gym?
Can you work on this in open gym? because if so, there are some very safe drills. However, I do think you'll need a coach to check your form and spot you on some attempts. Can you ask a coach at open gym for these things on occasion.

With proper muscle control you should be able to keep your back straight no matter how flexible you are. The fact that you can't sounds a bit concerning to me, honestly. It could be that it's not a strength issue but a technique issue. However, have you ever been checked for hypermobility? If you have such a mobile spine, you really might want to see a PT to check. Without the right kinds of strength to support it, a hypermobile spine can lead to damage. Not saying you definitely have this, but it may be worth checking some time. Just how mobile is your spine btw?

how big is the trampoline at home and how big is it at the gym?
Can you work on this in open gym? because if so, there are some very safe drills. However, I do think you'll need a coach to check your form and spot you on some attempts. Can you ask a coach at open gym for these things on occasion.

I do have Hypermobile EDS. I have a pretty bad arch just standing which is probably what causes some of my undercutting. I also have Degenerative Disc Disorder in the L5-L6-S1 region of my back, which probably doesn't help. I can fold past in half backwards. All of my joints are hypermobile - so I'm sure my hip flexors and shoulders play some role in this too.

Honestly I have no clue on the size comparison. They don't really have coaches that can do technique or spotting at open gym. It's mostly run by high schoolers - so people my age or younger. I know what my form should look like - again I was a gymnast and I actually coached for awhile. I usually take videos and then slow them down so I can see what needs to be fixed where - and take it one correction at a time. Sometimes my mom - who is a former gymnast herself - will look at them too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back