Back to see the ortho in the morning

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are headed back to Philly in the morning to see Em's orthopedist. She has been doing really well since her ACL reconstruction/meniscus repair in April, but over the past couple of weeks had started having a lot of pain at the site of the meniscal repair. Poor kid is really discouraged because when she saw Dr. Frederick in June he told her she should be able to do some light tumbling by now, but instead she's pretty much having to lay off everything. He wants to see her tomorrow because of the new pain, so please wish us luck that it's just soreness from overuse and not new damage to the meniscus.:(

Best of luck the doc visit. It is very hard on kids when they are dealing with injuries. Hopefully she gets some positive news.

Thanks for all the good wishes. It was a mix of good and bad news. Dr does not think, at this point that Em has done any more damage to her meniscus, and the ACL repair looks really good - the good news. The bad news for Em is that he wants her to avoid any "joint loading" exercises to that knee for the next 4 weeks, which includes BWO, cartwheel or anything else where she would put all her weight on that right leg. She can continue on the bike for cardio and start on the rowing machine if that does not cause her any pain, but no more elliptical for now. The happy piece in this for Em is that she can still work bars, except for her dismounts. So now we hang in there for another 4 weeks and see what happens. Hopefully with rest the pain will go away and by September Em will have the go-ahead to start tumbling.
When Em got hurt in February, we knew she needed to see a doc who worked with gymnasts on a regular basis, and really hit the jackpot there. Dr. Frederick, her orthopedist, is the current ortho consultant for USA Gymnastics and was the team physician for the women's team in Athens. He really does understand how gymnasts think, and just how important their sport is to these kids! Having dealt with ortho's in the past who did not have a clue about gymnastics, I think this has made a huge difference in how Em has approached her surgery and her rehab. In Em's terms "he gets it!"

Sounds like you have the right ortho for EM, not the greatest news, but still so much that she can work with and without having to sit at home for weeks.

Yes, at least she can still be working in the gym! She had to stay out of the gym for a full month 2 years ago when she had mono and that was miserable for all of us.

Glad to hear she is on the mend even though it's a slow go. That is really good that you have an ortho who understands gymmies :) it takes some of the angst out of not being able to tumble yet.

Em is hanging in there but it has been a rough week for her. She is fretting about falling further behind on her rehab protocol, and is worrying about being ready to compete in December when the season starts. Her sister just got her official acceptance to Wilson College today, where she will be a member of their gymnastics team, and I think that has made it tougher on Em, watching Caileigh get ready to move ahead while she feels she is losing ground. Em's been through rough times before though, and I'm confident she will pull through this one.

Aw, poor thing. One of my DD's is dealing with knee issues right now (nothing major like your DD but still having to lay off tumbling and vault and of course worrying about being able to compete this season). It must be really hard for her. Hope healing vibes can come her way soon!!!

Injuries are never easy to deal with and I know when they are kept out of training it does feel like an eternity!

Hoping things will improve for her quickly!

Em is hanging in there but it has been a rough week for her. She is fretting about falling further behind on her rehab protocol, and is worrying about being ready to compete in December when the season starts. Her sister just got her official acceptance to Wilson College today, where she will be a member of their gymnastics team, and I think that has made it tougher on Em, watching Caileigh get ready to move ahead while she feels she is losing ground. Em's been through rough times before though, and I'm confident she will pull through this one.

Crystalflipz ~ Olivia's coach's dd goes to Wilson College and is on their gymnastics team! I think she'll be a sophmore this year. What a small world!

I hope Em has a speedy recovery. As long as she's following dr's orders she'll be okay for December, I would think. Some girls just come back way too fast. It's nice to have a doctor that is really up on the gymnastics injury stuff, isn't it? We went through the same thing with her ankle. She's still taping it for every practice and that's getting old, ya know? I just got off the phone with the doctor's office to see if she can stop any time soon, or just not tape it for the entire practice. Hopefully he'll come back with good news. I'm spending a fortune on tape and pre-wrap! :eek:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back