Backhandspring HELP!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymrat101

Ok, so I can get my back handspring on the tumble track. But on the floor I keep falling, and falling. How can I make my arms and wrist stronger, and what are some drills I can do at home so I can be able to do my backhandspring for gymnastics?

Push ups
Wrist push ups
Get a coach to spot them on the floor
If they're OK on the tumble trak, assuming you aren't doing a round off first, you may not be jumping high enough on floor. If you drill yourself into the ground, it's hard to get your arms straight before your hands hit the floor.
Videos are helpful for these types of questions.

Make sure that your round off is good first, feet together and good rebound. If you have the good round off and rebound that should put you in good position for the back handspring. A lot of girls that have that similiar problem do not finish their RO before trying to go into the Back handspring. In which case then you don't have the rebound and don't go up enough to get your arms straight.

it would be useful to see video. with that said, the 2 most common mistakes beginners make on this skill are:

1. starting with the feet apart instead of together. this causes deficient jump.

2. as you learned it on a tumbl trak, and even for kids that do not but may do this to a lesser degree, you see beginners "bouncing" the floor or "crow hopping" (where you jump forward and then jump and take off) and this will screw up the angle required to support your body weight when your upside down.

so then, if you've got video put it up.:)

Start doing RO on floor and then Back handspring onto mat always make sure you're wrists
are warmed up properly xxxx:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back