WAG Backwards motivation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

BarCoach

Coach
Reaction score
We're not quite halfway through our season and the kids are getting bored with routines and details. Trying to keep them motivated to work hard. In the past I've used Monopoly money as a reward for making corrections, working hard, etc. but this year I'm thinking about doing it backwards. I'd give the girls an amount of money to start with and they'd have to pay me if they aren't making corrections. I'm thinking this would work for the kids who feel like they are good enough and don't bed to make any more corrections at their current level. Thoughts? Too negative?

Make it a two way street by allowing them to earn some funny money as well. What can they buy with their money...... hopefully not a new coach!o_O:oops::eek:

We're not quite halfway through our season and the kids are getting bored with routines and details. Trying to keep them motivated to work hard. In the past I've used Monopoly money as a reward for making corrections, working hard, etc. but this year I'm thinking about doing it backwards. I'd give the girls an amount of money to start with and they'd have to pay me if they aren't making corrections. I'm thinking this would work for the kids who feel like they are good enough and don't bed to make any more corrections at their current level. Thoughts? Too negative?
Welcome to the mid season doldrums! ;) Having the very same issues, especially around the Holidays. Every child seems to be deaf, have some sort of neurological disorder that keeps their feet form pointing and knees from squeezing, and the attention span of a flea! Just gave them an inspiring speech yesterday, "if you don't get inspired, I'll kill you!" ;) Truth is, keep mixing it up like what you are trying. Also, don't be afraid to give the routines a rest for a little while and work on some new and fun tricks to keep it fun and interesting for them. That little bit of time away from the routines can really pay dividends when you go back to them. Going ice skating this afternoon with the girls for getting their marble jar filled up again and hope that will motivate them before their meet this next week. If they are like my girls, they like to scare you until show time, and then suddenly there's everything that you thought they never heard!! Good luck. :)
'Too negative?' LOL

Add some games.

Give them something to shot for, i.e. if they get 10 cartwheels they get to do something new. Our girls always want to go on tumble trak and work new skills, so that is a good payoff for them.

Our coaches also give out tickets for things "done correctly." After a week of pratice the girls can cash in their tickets for little prizes.

I much prefer the idea of giving rather than taking away. I have one of those gymnasts who goes so much further with positive encouragement than a negative correction (she is a sensitive type). If you took fake money away from her, she would just get discouraged. I like LizzieLac's idea of getting to do something new. DD mentioned wanting to go to the new trampoline park and I told her "but you get to go on the trampoline where it's much safer!" and she said "yeah, we really don't get to go on the trampoline much anymore". How about one correction made consistently = 5 minutes on the trampoline? They do lose a lot of that "fun stuff" once they are on the team, and they are still little girls who want to play. :)

Thanks for the feedback. We do work upgrades on a weekly basis but we still have two weeks before our next meet so I'll allow them a day free from routines. I typically like the idea if giving rather than taking away too but I'm just not seeing a whole lot of effort being put in that way right now so I thought maybe I'd try the other way. I'll keep trying first. I have some games planned for tomorrow and Saturday so we'll see. Not sure yet what they'd be able to buy. Hopefully not a new coach! Love the idea of ice skating.

Just a little side thought about motivation (remembering back to a sports psychology class from college)...

Intrinsic motivation (comes from within and doesn't need rewarded) is the best type of motivation to have. Extrinsic (rewards for doing things) is fine at a young age, but eventually should be transferred to intrinsic motivation. What motivates one athlete might not motivate another. Extrinsic rewards (like money) diminish intrinsic (from within) motivation.

Maybe you could individualize things a bit. Talk to them about the two types of motivation and give some examples of each. Then, you could ask them if/how they would like to be rewarded (individually) for doing skills/routines correctly. This could also help with getting to know your athletes and building trust :-)

I know of course that they should ideally be intrinsically motivated. And believe me, I'd love it if they were. But while working on that, I need ways to keep it interesting and keep them working.

I like the idea of just straight out asking them. Will be interesting to see what they say.

I like the idea of just straight out asking them. Will be interesting to see what they say.

I've been there and done that, and it works if you ask the questions they don't want to ask. Try to anticipate what their issue is and offer two or or questions. Such as.........

So Suzie, I'm a little concerned that something in the gym isn't working for some of the girls and whatever it is has taken some of the fun and energy out of our practices. Whatta ya think. Could it be something like?????, or maybe?????

The process works better if your questions impress Suzie as an opportunity to question and openly discuss the gymnastics bible written in stone..... where the first commandment is Thou shalt not question the coach's decisions and practice structure. Just putting a few questions out there should be enough to signal that you're ready to listen, and maybe make a deal that puts the energy back into the masses.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back