Parents Bad sprain

• Thread starter Thread starter ValleyGymMom
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
V

ValleyGymMom

Last night at the end of class, dd lands sideways on the ankle, hears a pop and starts crying. She NEVER sheds a tear at gymnastics so I knew it was painful. Coach helped her to the car and by the time we got home an hour later (we commute) there was a golf ball size knot protruding from her ankle. This morning, it was hugely swollen. X-rays show no broken bones, but it looks terrible and is very painful. She has to wear a splint and use crutches for at least a week...and school starts next week!

How long has it taken your daughter to completely heal from this type of injury? She has had bruises and little sprains but nothing like this before and I've heard that bad sprains can sometimes take longer to heal than a clean break. So, what should I expect??

Glad she saw the doctor. These things can take a while and every child heals differently. WHat did the doc says vis a vis healing time?

Glad she saw the doctor. These things can take a while and every child heals differently. WHat did the doc says vis a vis healing time?
Other than the brace for a week, she didn't give us a real time-line. The x-rays were sent to the radiologist to look for hairline fractures and if that shows up then she will tell us next week how much longer she needs to wear it.

Well I gues that means for at least a week she needs to be taking it very easy. Hopefully she doesn't drive you bonkers with her excess energy.

Bog is so right that everyone heals differently. Since you see the doctor again next week, she should be able to give you more of a timeline. Recovery time can be based on amount of swelling, pain with movement and ability to put weight on it. Even if there is a small fracture, right now the treatment is the same.

Sprains are rated from Grade 1-4(1 being the mildest). Ask the doctor for the grade of sprain and if PT will help her. She may need an ankle brace and some exercises to do once she does return to gym.

Poor kid, starting school on crutches is not alot of fun.

Beetle had a sprain last winter, it took her a good 2 - 3 weeks before she was back to full go. She wore an ankle brace for a couple months afterward.

Hugs to your DD. I hope she heals fast!

I sprained my ankle when I was 12 or 13 and I was on crutches for two weeks. It took a long time to heal, but I didn't get any physiotherapy for it - it was a long long time ago, I think these days they have better techniques to help recovery, such as the right exercises to practise, which can make a big difference.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back