WAG Beauty Contest at Europeans?!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I take no offense to the swearing. It inspired me to swear when I read it. It's insulting and believe me I am not a feminist by any means. You want to compete at a beauty pageant or be a girly-girl, more power to ya!

But half these girls are minors and they are literally out there doing a sport that could seriously injure them at any given moment and some idiot thought - Hey, let's see who's the cutest.

Well I nominate the person who came up with this for the Douchebag of the Day award.

wouldn't surprise me if it were Bruno Grandi...

and just wait until Aliya gives them all the double fingers! hahahahahahahahahahaha

I think, looking back at the source, that it suffers from translation. To my mind I think they are talking aesthetics rather than looks. European gymnastics does put a lot more emphasis on aesthetics.

Yes, it would make more sense to me if it were about artistry and presentation, something related to their gymnastics abilities. If it really is about their looks, like a beauty contest, I find that very sad. They are already incredible at what they do, let that be enough.

I know when I lived on the European continent, elegance was something that was prized in women (and men). Not Good looks, but looking good. People would dress in their best clothes, get "dolled up" and then go and sit in a cafe to "see and be seen". It was about style and comportment and I think this feeds from that. Its a different culture for sure.

I haven't read the article but I did see that there was a prize. I assumed it was similar to the longines prize for elegance that gets handed out at one of the competitions (to men and women).
It's not so long since points could be awarded on floor and beam for 'beauty, Artistry and elegance' in the actual code.

I do try to curb my inclinations towards raging feminism on here. I pointedly did not comment on the Maroney instagram thread. Oh, all right; I bashed a long-winded, ranting, opinionated comment into my keyboard and then thought better of it. A couple of times.

Beauty contest? At the top level of a difficult, meticulous and dangerous sport? This, in the frank terms favoured by my locality, absolutely boils my p***. I have censored that myself.

My only source of contentment rests in knowing that any one of these young ladies could take any voyeuristic, misogynistic, puerile half-witted fool and knock seven very different shades out of them in an instant. They wouldn't, of course, being as they are all far too classy.

Evening, all.

will someone please explain the bruno references? i don't know the name or the history. what's that all about?

In short - Bruno Grandi is the president of the FIG (governing body of international gymnastics) and is responsible for the demise of artistry in the sport!

gotcha. how did he accomplish that? (i've never kept up with gymnastics at all so you can consider me totally ignorant on its history or anything above beginner levels.)

Just by changing the code of points really. Although it isn't just Grandi who is responsible for changes in the rules, he is the president so we like to give him the flack!
Over the past 10(?) years maybe more, I'm fuzzy, the code has rewarded difficulty over artistry and originality. Although having said that the latest version of the code seems to be trying to redeem itself a little in my opinion! There are a lot of marks to lose through poor artistry now.

thanks for answering! so much to learn. i hope artistry is indeed rewarded more. i loved those video montage natalia posted!

I do try to curb my inclinations towards raging feminism on here. I pointedly did not comment on the Maroney instagram thread. Oh, all right; I bashed a long-winded, ranting, opinionated comment into my keyboard and then thought better of it. A couple of times.

Beauty contest? At the top level of a difficult, meticulous and dangerous sport? This, in the frank terms favoured by my locality, absolutely boils my p***. I have censored that myself.

My only source of contentment rests in knowing that any one of these young ladies could take any voyeuristic, misogynistic, puerile half-witted fool and knock seven very different shades out of them in an instant. They wouldn't, of course, being as they are all far too classy.

Evening, all.

hahahahahahahahaha :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back