WAG Benefits of grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Yes, they will als improve your grip on bars, the dowel on the grip will in effect lengthen your grip around the bar. You will find them very useful when learning to do skills like Giants.

I never felt like I needed grips until I started learning clear hips. Everything up to then was fine without. Other people have different experiences, though.
If you don't get rips and you don't feel like you need grips to hang on to the bar, you might not need them yet. It's up to you! Maybe you can borrow a friend's for 10 minutes just to see what it's like.

Congrats! Grips here are a rite of passage that all gymmies look forward to! Usually kids get them after they are kipping with consistency.
They aren't necessarily something ALL gymmies look forward to. We have and L8/9 who just started using grips when training L8.
My OG got grips after she got her kip consistently (2010), but still hasn't competed with grips to this day. She hated them from day 1.
Half of our L5s compete without grips (and actually score better on bars than the girls with grips). None of our L4s wear grips … and none are talking about wanting them either.

I would say that if you don't rip, then don't worry about it for now.

Ok so when I was younger and in bronze and silver (level 3-ish and 4-ish) I refused to wear grips, and I never ripped. I hated palm grips and they made me slip. I had to take some time off after that due to surgery and just came bank a year ago. Now I'm in platinum and I have dowel grips and I get it now. My hands used to always hurt doing bars so I HATED bars but now that I have grips I like bars. Anyway, that's all beside the point but it really depends on the person if you need/want grips but if I were you I would get them and try them for about a month to break them in and if you really don't like them, then don't where them. I would try them tho because some people really like palm grips, I was just weird and didn't[emoji23] hth

Just be careful. For ages my DD ripped WORSE with her grips. She went from the occasional rip to almost constant rips and her hands were always red and in pretty bad shape, mostly the areas where the grips covered. Interestingly enough, we changed brands with her newest grips and her hands have finally healed up. I guess it could be a coincidence; but I suspect that something in that brand that she started with didn't agree with her skin. So, if you end up having problems, keep in mind that maybe a different brand would be better for you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back