Parents Body "build"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
Reaction score
Every child is built differently, with that known fact can that play a big difference in making a skill look right. Example...a bent knee when doing leaps it may seem like child isn't performing them correctly but her because her knees are just slightly bent. "Archy" back performing a handstand may look like her lines aren't straight but that is shape of body. Is this something that has to be worked around or is that something you deal with.

My ODD is one whose knees do not straighten. She does single/double stags now so the issue isn't accentuated. She's come to realize though that bent knee deductions are just something she will always get.

body shaping drills do help but only to a point. You can't fix actual bone structure and alignment. dd has a significant sway back. Has had it since she was very young. It has gotten better with conditioning and drills for improved shaping but It won't ever go away completely, no matter how many drills she does. She gets deducted on it all the time on bars. It is what it is...

My kid claims that her knees naturally look bent no matter how straight her legs are. My theory is that if it's obvious to the judges that her legs are as tight as can possibly be (quads and calves visibly tight, feet perfectly pointed, legs glued together), she is less likely to get a deduction for the not-perfectly-straight knees, but I am not a judge or a coach so who knows.

body shaping drills do help but only to a point. You can't fix actual bone structure and alignment. dd has a significant sway back. Has had it since she was very young. It has gotten better with conditioning and drills for improved shaping but It won't ever go away completely, no matter how many drills she does. She gets deducted on it all the time on bars. It is what it is...
Yes my gymmie does also that is why I was asking thx!

No matter what my DD does she will never have the long, lean lines on beam or bars, she is very short and stocky. But on the other hand she is an amazingly powerful floor tumbler and vaulter, so we feel like it evens out in the end.

My kid claims that her knees naturally look bent no matter how straight her legs are. My theory is that if it's obvious to the judges that her legs are as tight as can possibly be (quads and calves visibly tight, feet perfectly pointed, legs glued together), she is less likely to get a deduction for the not-perfectly-straight knees, but I am not a judge or a coach so who knows.
sorry, to break it to you... :-( ... they don't care. They are looking for the straight lines, perfect form. if they don't see it, they will deduct. They should deduct as much as with a girl who both has bent and loose legs though. So at least she has that going for her.

My dd is short and muscular. She doesn't have the perfect lines but makes up for it in other ways

I tell the girls I coach that everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. Part of those are simply how you are built. It means they just have different things they all are going to have to work harder at. For someone who is naturally anteverted, turning out and having nice lines in their splits and leaps is more difficult. Someone with a sway back will have a harder time getting a nice straight line in their handstands etc. It doesn't give them an excuse to not work at it, it means they have to work HARDER at acheiving the correct positions. Had one girl on L3 last year who was physically unable to straighten her legs fully, and absolutely she got deducted for it, every time. They were as straight as she could get them.... but not straight.

There are lots of ways to get deductions in gymnastics besides for not pointing your feet or straightening your knees. Parents always focus on that stuff cause it's easy to see (especially in compulsories), but it isn't as important as you'd think.

My kiddo has a weird knobbly knee that doesn't straighten as easily as the other. If she focuses very hard, it is straight, but unless she's really tight and paying attention, it looks crooked, like it is turned out more than the other.

Reactions: sce
There are lots of ways to get deductions in gymnastics besides for not pointing your feet or straightening your knees. Parents always focus on that stuff cause it's easy to see (especially in compulsories), but it isn't as important as you'd think.
In optionals sway back can cost a major dedication on bars...but I always tell my girl work the numbers....make up in the other areas

My daughter is the short lithe super lean type that is beautiful on beam and bars but she has to work ten times as hard for power on vault and floor. I think it all evens out in the end! The powerful girls do well on vault and floor but can't get the super high scores on bars and beam. If everyone was good at everything they'd all be Olympians right?? ;-)

My daughter is short stocky and also has a tendency of sway back, and sometimes watermelon belly when she eats too much gluten. Lol... She is super strong and bars is easy for her but her form she does she deducted. Especially on those handstands. Her high scorers are beam and floor. Vault not so much.

Coaches focus on it too. Yes there are otger deductions, but nice lines are important

My daughter is the short lithe super lean type that is beautiful on beam and bars but she has to work ten times as hard for power on vault and floor. I think it all evens out in the end! The powerful girls do well on vault and floor but can't get the super high scores on bars and beam. If everyone was good at everything they'd all be Olympians right?? ;-)

This :). My kid is one of those w/ great form on pretty much everything she does - if she had the power and amplitude that some other kids have to go along w/ that she'd be amazing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back