Break from competition?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

C

cheryl1960

I was wondering if any parents or coaches have had any experience with gymnasts taking time off from competition. My daughter has only been doing WAG for 2 years(started out tumbling/cheer) but won her state novice age division at level 4 AAU, and this year has been doing USAG prep gold which has been a big change with lots of new skills.(btw she is 13). It seems like these are around L5/6 skills with maybe a few L 7s too.
She has done reasonably well but only made 34,s all around. Floor has been good, as she has a tumbling background, but has stressed way more than usual for her. She mentioned maybe trying out T & T so has been doing a trampoline class once a week just for a feel and to see if she would like it, but has now decided that she doesn't want to lose her artistic skills, but does not want to compete next season.
I don't really mind if she doen't compete, but thought maybe she could do floor since she always does well and as her confidence builds add some more events. Can they do just 1 or 2 events and if they do that, how do they move to the next level? I was under the impression they had to have an all around score for mobility, or can they petition for entry into any level?:confused: Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

For USAG levels, you have to have an AA score for mobility to the next level...that said, it doesn't mean that she couldn't uptrain skills of the next level while not "officially' being there. If she's not going to compete, her level placement shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks, the only reason I was wondering about the mobility and levels was that I think she will probably change her mind at some point and want to compete again. She has had a rough season and of course most athletes go through rough patchesIf she decided to, she would want to compete at her skill level, and right now I think her decision is mostly because she lacks confidence, especially on beam and vault. So if she did not compete next year, but was ready for level 8 in 2011, would she petition for placement or have to compete 1 or 2 meets at level 6, 7 first? I was also curious about what happens if they do only compete 1 or 2 events during a season while continuing to work on higher skills. Do they petiton, or compete to obtain mobility?

My understanding is that she would still have to compete one L7 meet to "score out." I think if a gymnast is 14 or older and hast not competed, then they can petition to begin at a L7 if they have the required skills.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News