British Championships

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I guess now you know what club my daughter goes to and who she is but I am ok with that as it is kind of hard to keep it a secret , just have to be careful what I post.

I knew a long time ago who you were, and I don't think I'm the only one. But I have also been 'spotted' on here. As long as you are posting positive things then there is no problem, but it does make you double check yourself.
I certainly think disability gymnastics is starting to increase in popularity and I love to watch. And more so when you know the gymnasts involved and what they have overcome to be able to do the moves that they do. I wish more gyms offered it.

I knew a long time ago who you were, and I don't think I'm the only one. But I have also been 'spotted' on here. As long as you are posting positive things then there is no problem, but it does make you double check yourself.
I certainly think disability gymnastics is starting to increase in popularity and I love to watch. And more so when you know the gymnasts involved and what they have overcome to be able to do the moves that they do. I wish more gyms offered it.

Negative things do not belong on here, you are right about Disability Gymnastics increasing in popularity, I still hope it increases more , especially in our area as there are not many clubs that offer it. I hope that it increases enough so that physical gymnasts to do not have to compete against sensory gymnasts as the differences in then is huge, my daughter will always struggle physically and it is kind of heartbreaking to see her try her best and is not that competitive against gymnasts with not obvious physical problems (physical issues are hard to hide). Gymnasts with sensory disabilities usually have no problems with straight legs pointed toes and strengths etc.

Physical issues can be hard to spot, even if not hidden though. I'm not sure how open everyone is about the reason they qualify, so don't want to give specific examples here, but knowing what some of those girls have been through only recently I am in awe of everything they achieve.

I personally would love to enter my son into competition but am really confused as to which category he would fall into as he is both down's and has a below knee amputation.

Physical issues can be hard to spot, even if not hidden though. I'm not sure how open everyone is about the reason they qualify, so don't want to give specific examples here, but knowing what some of those girls have been through only recently I am in awe of everything they achieve.

I don't thank anyone is "open" to what category they are on, but some are more obvious than others, like hearing aid implant users, gymnasts with server is problems, this with Down's Syndrome, but even then it doesn't tell the who picture. If none knew who my daughter was they would think she was only 5-6 and then only hint of a disability that would have been visible to this people would be the way she moves, but to those who knows how old she is the you can see the other part of her disability, she is really tiny for a nearly 12 year old and has hyper mobility (which itself might not have been a problem and could have been an asset) but for my daughter it came with low muscle tone (not being able to run and jump at 6 and not able to skip across the floor until she was 9 1/2), co-ordination problems, extreme tiredness (problem a byproduct of both issues), walking and running with a waddle and on her back foot, the walking on her back foot has apparently being caused by ligament issues according to a physio at comes to the gym and she has "bumps" on her ankles, she has been given exercises to try and improve this.

I personally would love to enter my son into competition but am really confused as to which category he would fall into as he is both down's and has a below knee amputation.
I guess they would enter him an a category which effects him the most.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back