Parents Broken Toe at base :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ellie ran through the house and caught her foot on a corner. She cried for a few minutes and kept on going. Monday she was up and around. It looked fine other than a cut. No complaints from her. She asked me to wrap it for gym because there was a bruise. I wrapped it. She did 3 hours of gymnastics. Tripped twice walking(toes went under her). Got her home. Toe was swollen and purple. Called dr yesterday.

Ellie got her foot xrayed. I saw the x-rays. I don't know how to read them, but I saw the crack. I was told it was broken and to tape it and go on. 3 hours later the pediatrician called and said it is more extensive than they originally thought. We now have an appointment on Thursday because the fracture goes down into the base of the toe.

Needless to say, she won't be competiting in her first level four meets. I am not sure how long she will be out. She is sad. :(

Awww poor baby. Make sure you see a good orthopedic surgeon. Toes can be more troublesome than you would think. I hope your DD has a speedy recovery.

Poor girl! I'm sorry that she'll have to sit out the first few meets :(. So glad that you had an xray and that they called you back as soon as they did. Good luck at the Appt.

OUCH! Breaking it the first time must've been awful, but then the whole toes rolling under thing ARGH!!! Poor little one.

Poor little thing. Breaking a toe can really hurt. Hope you get some answers from the ortho today. Let us know what he/she says.

Oh bummer! Having experience with a daughter breaking a toe (Beth broke her little toe last year in November, then a middle toe in February), it WILL heal and while missing a few meets is a huge disappointment, it will pass and she'll be better than ever. Good luck to her!!

Poor Ellie. :( Hope she heals fast. That sounds painful. So hard when they have to miss gym for injuries, but seems to be part of gym life. I know my gymmie has dealt with it a few times now and it is just no fun. But they do heal and get back to it and then it is even sweeter for them. And they learn a lot in the process. Tough lessons, but good ones. Hugs.

update

Ortho appointment went really well! :) The dr said that it is a clean and easy break and not at the base. That was a normal variation of bones on a child's foot that the rediologist was seeing. She is to tape it at all times. She may conitinue with gymnastics as long as it is not hurting horribly. She is to sit out if it hurts. He said in about 2 weeks it will not hurt. Thankfully, no gym this week. So she is taking it easy. She goes back in 6 weeks. :)
And he said due to the girls being gymnasts that he is sure he will be seeing us more often. LOL

Thanks for all the get well wished. :)

awwww...i know how you feel...my dd broke her big toe at the base and also three other spots hitting the wall of the pit vaulting...she continued to work out except pounding, running, etc, she actually healed in less than 3 weeks!!! stay positive! kids heal fast!

Wha??? Girls gotta do pommel horse now? Why does USAG keep messing with things?

(Seriously, good luck for quick and complete healing!)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back