bruise and knot from bars......

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

P

penny

My level 7 daughter is getting a huge knot and bruise on the lower abdomin from bars. I am concerned she will get a hernia. I'm talking egg size or larger knot. What can I do should I be worried?
Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like a Hematoma, which typically are not dangerous. The only time Hematomas should be checked imediately if it's on the head. Rest, keep icing it and do not take Asprin or Ibuprofens. If it does not go away on it's on after rest and ice, then see your doctor.

I'm pretty sure a hernia starts on the inside and works its way out. In other words, a hernia is a rupture of the abdominal wall or something like that, and it manifests itself as a lump on the side. IE, a lump on her abdomen can't become a hernia, only the other way around.

can you elaborate on its exact location and what your daughter/coach thinks might be causing this?

It is about 2-3 inches below the belly button. The coach says it is probably from a single blow on the bar. It decreased in size when iced but is still very sore. I just don't want her to do any damage to the internial reproductive organs.

dont worry...she won't do any internal damage to her body. she most likely has lordosis, or sway back. maybe a little more than some kids. she bends her arms on kips. and then casts from the bent arm position. and bam! right to that spot. it's usually half way between the belly button and crotch.

have the coach tell her to get in support with straight arms. then slowly have her bend her arms until the bar is upon that area. this will show her how much her arms are bent and why she must learn to straighten them.

in the meantime, get her some silicone pads with one side sticky. walgreens carrys them. have her place that over the 'bump'. this will lessen that small 'bumping' going on for the short term. straightening her arms on her kip/cast is the final solution.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back