WAG Cartwheel drills for 4 year old please!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I appreciate what you're saying however it is holding her back. She cannot get the certificate she wants until she gets her cartwheel, in her class they help her for all of 2 mins and that is it. She really wants to get her next badge before she turns 5 in 8 weeks and I'd really appreciate actual help and things I can do because she is getting frustrated that she can't do it properly
She's 4, nothing is holding her back. You have already said that she is moving up to pre-team. You need to get some perspective. The badges really don't mean anything. Why does your 4yo see these badges as so important in the first place? Is it the importance you've put on them.

Because she's 4 years old and been getting badges for the past year and a half. I think the tone of your post is quite patronising tbh, I was asking for advice on how I could help her with her cartwheel because SHE is getting frustrated with it. She is a competitive child, it's her personality.

The BAGA badges are a recreational award scheme. I have all six somewhere from my youth. They are not really intended for a gymnast who is competitive stream material. To be having those as the gold standard for a 4 year old is a bit odd. Good that she is going into pre-team where they will focus more on the quality of very, very basic skills than getting skills.

If you look at videos of very young competitive gymnasts in the UK who are successful you will see that the skills they perform are very, very finely tuned. That is what competitive stream coaches do. In a BAGA recreational classes the coaches are not as picky and get their gymnasts doing skills much sooner, though technically less perfect.

Once she is in pre-team you will see that she will get skills more slowly, but once she gets them they will be a lot nicer than in the BAGA setting. This is a very good thing.

SO my advice, like that of many others, is to just let her be at home. She can have fun playing around, but try to avoid "coaching" skills as they are a bugger to reteach later and that really slows down progress and confuses the child when mum says one thing and the coach something else.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back