Coaches Casting Drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

asgcoach

My level fives are getting killed on bars because they are missing the cast requirement out of the front hip circle and on the high bar. We do tons of casting drills, mainly drills that involve doing many casts in a row, but they just can't seem to get it. Are there any casting drills that have worked for y'all? Thanks!

If they know the technique of a cast and their front hip circle is technically good, they just need to get stronger.

From what I've seen, the Front hip circle is a good tool to teach a good cast. If you keep in mind that the skill isn't finished until the shoulders are past the bar and the gymnast is looking at the floor under the bar. Here's how I see it broken down:

1. Start in support leaning over the bar.
2. Assuming they are facing the high bar, look at the high bar as you fall forward as long as you can.
3. Keeping the arms straight, rotate the hands as you pike around the bar or sit up into your legs, or bite your knees. How ever you want to word it.
4. STAY PIKED UNTIL YOU CAN SEE THE FLOOR AGAIN. I sometime draw a face on the mat and have them look for it.
5. Once the skill is back in the forward leaning position open the pike back to a straight or hollow body. This will cast.

I remind the girls that the first time they do a front hip correctly, it will scare the crap out of them as it will lead to a cast to 3/4 handstand or higher.

Spot a lot of these and a lot of cast handstands so they are used to the angles and they should eventually get used to the bigger casts.

place a block or panel mat stack on the low bar side. close enough for gymnast to have the ability to jump up to support. and so that they have to jump 'up'. maybe a couple of feet below the bar. and place an 8" mat between the bars. you'll know it's right on this next part.

have gymnast jump to support, legs will swing forward for subsequent cast. then cast.

do this 3 times in a row. coach looking at gymnast's right side. and reminder that the block and gymnast is on the outside of the low bar. 1st to 10:00. 2nd to 11:00. 3rd to 12:00.

if coach is looking at left? 2:00, 1:00, and 12:00.

the casts should behave like a pendulum. 10 sets of 3 in a row every other day. 5 sets of 3 in a row on the every other day. every other week add a 1-3 pound weight/waist belt on the 5 set day.

coach doesn't have to spot. coach gives verbal commands..."keep your elbows straight", "keep your knees straight", "keep your ankles pointed and feet in a fist", etc;

non-spotting methodology is best for children to learn casts. they can learn this drill and subsequent handstand in a non-threatening manner.

once they learn the cast handstand...then the coach can stand above the low bar and "shape" the handstand in repetition. can also assist reps of 10 in a row done perfectly from support just like it is done at the ranch.

Last edited by a moderator:
place a block or panel mat stack on the low bar side. close enough for gymnast to have the ability to jump up to support. and so that they have to jump 'up'. maybe a couple of feet below the bar. and place an 8" mat between the bars. you'll know it's right on this next part.

have gymnast jump to support, legs will swing forward for subsequent cast. then cast.

do this 3 times in a row. coach looking at gymnast's right side. and reminder that the block and gymnast is on the outside of the low bar. 1st to 10:00. 2nd to 11:00. 3rd to 12:00.

if coach is looking at left? 2:00, 1:00, and 12:00.

the casts should behave like a pendulum. 10 sets of 3 in a row every other day. 5 sets of 3 in a row on the every other day. every other week add a 1-3 pound weight/waist belt on the 5 set day.

coach doesn't have to spot. coach gives verbal commands..."keep your elbows straight", "keep your knees straight", "keep your ankles pointed and feet in a fist", etc;

non-spotting methodology is best for children to learn casts. they can learn this drill and subsequent handstand in a non-threatening manner.

once they learn the cast handstand...then the coach can stand above the low bar and "shape" the handstand in repetition. can also assist reps of 10 in a row done perfectly from support just like it is done at the ranch.

I'm having trouble picturing this; do you have a video?

Hi

I have to say that the cast to HS in straight body is annoying to teach, because it does initially require a great deal of strength, timing and coordination. When you have all that down is becomes actually more about consistency through practice.

Personally if you are able to, teach the straddle cast to HS first, get the kids to be confident to hit HS, as well as learning not to push back immediately. Also teach them how to fall out of HS safely.

Along with that spend time working on catapults over the bar...
Put a soft crash mat on one side of the bar, have the kids cast but without trying to go to HS, instead teach them to cast over the bar and fall flat back on the mat.
(this is an example of the drill show on Tumble track website CLIP ). I would recommend that you require and demand MUCH higher standard then that shown, in regard to form, shape, tension etc.. The arms bending should only be acceptable for the first couple of try's until they get the hang of it. After that BIG NO NO, learning bent arm cast to HS will only teach you a BENT arm cast to HS..fixing that after is worse then re-learning the skill.

I have also seen coaches be very successful with jump from spotting block cast and push back to land on block..With the no spotting approach. However i think there has to be a middle ground at best. Shape the HS always i think.

Things to learn and remember when casting to HS, is to push the hips into the bar (in order to have the bar spring you up), press the shoulders down (and keep them down till the legs start raising above shoulders), and then forcefully open the shoulders..this is where the strength component is needed and it helps to have learns straddle HS as this is a strength progression in a way, doing lots of planche lever-ups , all that sort of stuff.

I would definitely apply Dunno's progressively overloading methodology for training the cast, how you apply this is up to you...spotted, no spotted, you name it, but overloading is important...i think that is a big reason why it takes long to learn for most. Emphasise the tight arch shape in the cast at first.. once they can hit, and they get stronger this tight arch will disappear with a bit of work, but otherway around isn't so easy to do or learn.

I'm having trouble picturing this; do you have a video?

They are just jumping to front support with feet in front and casting. It is a little easier than starting already in front support, or from the kip. And more efficient. We used to do this when I was a L7-8. I don't think the point is "never spot" but it is an efficient drill because they can do it, it doesn't hurt their hands, and on the other bar you are spotting the handstanding into a free hip handstand or giant at this level often.

But I also have them do drop kip, and put them in this compressed shape, and cast. It is a little easier (for me, and them) from just the drop kip, less crazy things going on, etc. Also time efficient. Jack Carter taught me kip cast HS, pirouette (casting just over) using kip immediate front hip circle (the kids should not worry about making the FHC...just doing it immediately, and with heel drive.). It is kind of the idea of the TT video shown. But without bent arms. A couple turns of that with the correct shapes (compress over the top...then drive hard) and in my experience, the kids who are "almost there" or "so close" with kip cast handstand will cast right over (spot!).

jack carter is a good coach. i'll see what i can do about posting some of this stuff in video. i've never done it before but have people that can help me.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back