Parents Caught in the middle

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

xrachx

Coach
Proud Parent
Reaction score
DD has been splitting her time between her old club (1hr week senior rec) and her new club (3hrs week intermediate) since November. I spoke with both owners/HC and they were both more than happy to allow it since DD was training with her old club for a comp in March which she had already committed to.

Her main coaches at both gyms have been friends for a long time & they used to be teammates at DDs new club, but it seems there is definitely still a level of competition between them.
Unfortunately, DD has been caught in the middle of all this. She's made massive amounts of improvement with her new coach, far more than she did with her old coach, but DD still adores them both regardless.

Until last night that is. DD comes out of training at her old gym in floods of tears. When I finally get to the bottom of it, it turns out her coach has moved her to the next group down within her class, so now she has a different coach. Not a big deal you would think, until you find out most of her new group cannot do a straight line cartwheel, let alone being anywhere close to ROBHS! Being in this group also means she is not allowed to compete particular moves in the comp, ones she can already do really well. And to top it off, the girl who was moved into the top group can barely do a RO.

I've emailed the HC and owners to ask the reasoning for this placement as DD wasn't told why, but so far no response. To me, it seems DD is being punished for improving at the new club, but I don't know if that's just my mum genes clouding my judgement.

DD is utterly gutted by it all as she was really looking forward to the comp, and it's really knocked her confidence too as she told me she must be rubbish (even though she knows that her new gym is incredibly impressed with her) :(

Training at 2 clubs rarely works. Time to cut your ties and move on. Just my opinion I know. I know you want her to do the competition but is it really fair anyway to put your dd up against those girls on 1 hour a week when she is training extra hours at her new club. I would gracefully bow out of the old club say your thank you's and enjoy the new journey. And good luck!

Training at 2 clubs rarely works. Time to cut your ties and move on. Just my opinion I know. I know you want her to do the competition but is it really fair anyway to put your dd up against those girls on 1 hour a week when she is training extra hours at her new club. I would gracefully bow out of the old club say your thank you's and enjoy the new journey. And good luck!

I've definitely seen that! DD was the one desperate to stay and do the comp, I wasn't too fussed, but wish now I'd said leave it.
Re the comp being fair for other kids with less hours, she'd been placed in a group where she would have been up against kids that are upto 6yrs older than her, so she'd actually have been the underdog (but that didn't faze her!).

Definitely time to say goodbye though, luckily only 2 more sessions paid for so don't have to stay around for long.

Well, just heard back from the HC and she's told me what I know to be an out and out lie to explain about the groupings (when I read the email to DD, even she said that's a lie), so that's finalised DDs decision to leave. I didn't want to make my opinion influence her choice, so I'm glad she has been able to make her mind up on her own following what the HC has said

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back