Parents Changing Gyms - Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
Well, I finally took the first step today in changing gyms. DH and I have been thinking about it for awhile, but I started to call around today when DD hopped on board. My concern is that DD did not have a spectacular L6 year (34 AA average -- some meets higher, some lower -- but a full 3 points below her scores the last three years), so I'm a little worried that she won't be invited to join the nearby gyms. Does anyone have any experience on how long the process should take? I know that try outs are required and at the end of the day we may stay put. I'm just trying to set expectations for DD. New contracts at her current gym are a month away. Any advice from those who've done this before would be appreciated. I feel a little guilty but know it's the right move.

After a not so good L 4 states and seeing her other teammates who switched gyms do well my dd decided she wanted to go to a gym that had more experienced coaches. So dh and I looked at gyms in the area with higher levels and how they did. I call 2 gyms and asked if dd could try out & that we were looking to switch gyms. They have gave a time to come, she tried out and after each try out I asked her which place she felt the best at and that's the one she's at today 3 years later :). As a side note dd had a terrific L5 season, a not so terrific L6 season and a great L7 season so do just base it on L6 season- that's a tough level to judge.

Each gym has its own process for evaluating a girl coming in. Some will want 2 practices, others will have her come in by herself---it will vary. You should get an answer as to level the day she tries out or within a day or 2 after that. I wouldn't be concerned she's not good enough for another program----depending on the gym and what they see when she tries out, they may have her repeat L6. Don't worry about levels so much as finding a gym that you all like and can see your gymmie at for the rest of her gymnastics career.

After a not so good L 4 states and seeing her other teammates who switched gyms do well my dd decided she wanted to go to a gym that had more experienced coaches. So dh and I looked at gyms in the area with higher levels and how they did. I call 2 gyms and asked if dd could try out & that we were looking to switch gyms. They have gave a time to come, she tried out and after each try out I asked her which place she felt the best at and that's the one she's at today 3 years later :). As a side note dd had a terrific L5 season, a not so terrific L6 season and a great L7 season so do just base it on L6 season- that's a tough level to judge.
I meant don't judge by level 6 lol it's a hard level to get a handle in lol. Wish you the best in your searching.

I would not worry too much about prior scores, my Dd had average (34-35) level 4-6, a little better L7, when she switched gyms. I talked to new HC, sent a couple of videos and he invited her to try out. She loved it immediately and the coaches liked what they saw in her abilities as well as how she interacted with the team and they with her. It is important to assess the "social" aspect since these are the people your dd will spend many hours with. Don't be afraid to ask lots and lots of questions. I had tons, based on our prior (bad) experience. Our process took longer than most (3.5 months) but that was mainly due to the fact that I began our search mid-season with the plan of not switching till after States. In retrospect, we should have/could have done it within a month!

Good luck!

Whenever my girls have switched gyms, I have done the research and picked the gym prior to informing them...then I take them over to their "new home" and bring them in and it's done with...so for them, it takes one day. Some might think I should involve them in the process but they are generally emotional about leaving their friends and in the end, they have told me it's the right thing to do. This last time I did allow my daughter to decide , and after her "disaster" at JOs last year on bars (which is defined in HER standards , not mine....no fall but a routine "not up to the standards I set for myself") , she knew she needed to switch gyms because the bar coaching in her gym wasn't there and requested it...

Level 6 is a very tough level. Many 6s who are just ok go on to be great optional gymnasts. It's more diverse, tailored to show off the gymnast's strengths, and just more interesting over all. I don't know what to tell you. We don't have "contracts" just a verbal commitment to stay for the full year (but some don't). Maybe try another place or two and see what dd thinks. But don't base it solely on level 6 scores. Good luck!

Some might think I should involve them in the process but they are generally emotional about leaving their friends and in the end, they have told me it's the right thing to do.

HAHAHA, I made this mistake with my oldest, however, my youngest is the more rational "I don't care what I have to do I just want to be a better gymnast". So even after big parenting fail on my part years ago (allowing girls to stay at old gym), I did get Little Monkey's input about her move. By that time, older DD was finishing up her what was going to be her last season. After seeing LM's improvements, big DD asked why I never moved HER! :rolleyes:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back