WAG Choosing between Artistic and T&T

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

MVJ

Gymnast
Reaction score
So I just got back from my mega long vacation! It was a great time. :D

But now that I've come back, I've visited the gym again and now I'm faced with kind of a dilemma. We just found out that this new program that I was hoping to switch to from artistic had been stopped for reasons unknown. I'm very disappointed since I thought the program would be perfect (it would have combined artistic with T&T, less hours, and the option to compete).

Right now I'm kind of at that stage were I'm not sure if I want to still do so many hours of gym and I'm starting to dread practice, but not ready to quit gymnastics completely. The owner of the gym and one of my coaches gave the options of either sticking with artistic with the increase of hours (we have asked the gym if an exception could be made with the reduction of hours, but the answer was a firm "no" since the gym's program is too big with no room for exceptions), doing a rec class, or joining T&T (tryout required).

Doing rec is a bit pointless since the highest level goes up to round-offs and backhandsprings. I do kind of want to join T&T (lower hours...my parents like that it is much less expensive) yet I don't want to let go of artistic. It feels weird knowing I won't ever have a new floor routine or learn how to do a yurchenko.

I guess what I'm asking is whether it would be sensible to stick with artistic for another contract or go for T&T. Sorry for the very long melodramatic post!

Oh and(!), the closest gym is about an hour away, more on the bus. Switching is not really an option.

Try T&T and see if you like it. Less hours, less stress and lots of tumbling.

Does your gym have an open gym time when you could practice on the other events? That could be a fun way to still play on the other apparatus.

In my opinion going from artistic to T&T is a fairly easy transition while leaving artistic for any amount of time and trying to come back is a lot harder. So just really give it some thought. Good luck in what ever you choose!

I was bummed getting back into gymnastics as a adult that they only offered T&T to adults and not artistic but now I am so happy and love T&T and honestly could not imagine doing gymnastics again. There are so many new things to learn and new big skills to get in T&T as well.

Well thanks for some of the replies! Looks like I may be transitioning to T&T. Will miss artistic a great deal, but just discovered our gym offers some higher levels of CanGym, so I will be looking in that too. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back