Gymnasts Choosing meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gymnast17

Gymnast
Reaction score
What do you guys prefer?

Choosing meets that are scattered throughout the season (like 1-2 per month)

Or choosing more meets during a specific time frame that you know you will have lots of practice and proficiency in (3 in the span of a month)

Personally, I’ve had problems with both. The second one can be very stressful, but the first one always makes me wonder why I never get better.

My first year of comp gymnastics, I wanted to compete all the time. After that I got burned out

Too many meets all at once doesn't give much chance to improve. A meet or 2 a month gives you time to work on specific things in practice between meets instead of just running routines.

My child had three back to back meets for the first time and it was not a fun experience. All they had time for during the week was routines and more routines. It is difficult to see the point of that many meets in such a short period of time, they were all repetitions of each other as there wasn't any time to polish the routines to a higher degree. Bit of a waste of time and money to be honest

Our meet Schedule last year
Dec 4
Jan 21
Feb 4
Mar 2
Mar 7 (yes a thursday)
Apr 5
Apr 26
That was a pretty good seperation for DD becides the 2 march meets. Not to mentjon Mar 2 was a fly away meet and Mar 7 was a 2 hour drive on a school day.

This year
Dec 6-8
Jan 10-12
Jan 24-26
Feb 14-16
Mar 1-2
Mar 14-16
Apr 4-6

No back to back weeks this year, which is nice.

My gyms schedule (for my level), usually consists of:

1-2 Novemeber meets (back to back weeks or with a break week in the middle)
1-2 December meets (back to back weeks or with a break week in the middle)
1-2 January meets (with 1-2 week break in the middle)
Sometimes we will have a February meet, depending if we need another meet before districts (we try to have 6 local meets)
1-2 meets in March (one if districts, and the other is an optional meet a couple of weeks before districts if you are still trying to qualify to nationals, 1-2 week break in between)
1 meet in April (regionals, for those who qualify and decide to attend)
1 meet in June (nationals, for those who qualify and decide to attend)

We get our competition schedule is about 2 weeks, so I am waiting on that

So I see it’s more common to spread out the meets throughout the season. Last year I did

1 December
2 Janaury
2 February
1 March
1 April
2 May

but this year i’m struggling at bit at my new level. I don’t think I’ll be ready to compete before February.

This is year I was planning to do

1 Jan (inhouse)
1 Feb
1 March
1 April

Our seniors get one in November, control test in March, regionals in March, States in April, Nationals in May (if they qualify) and State Clubs in July.

Our Juniors get May, State Clubs in July, regionals in August, States in September, then November. There might be one more scattered in there somewhere.

We couldn’t run any more. Parents don’t volunteer for the ones we run now!! It’s a BIG job for everyone involved.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

The Magana Club

Back