Chuso to compete Prodnova...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Faith

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
This popped up on my FB today.

Apparently Chuso, in her bid for her seventh consecutive Olympics, plans to debut a Prodnova vault in Glasgow next week.

Thoughts?

I think they need to have a "dangerous" penalty so unsafe skills can be penalised heavily.

Scares me silly. But I do hope she can execute it well, and safely.

Love Chuso, nothing would make me more happy than to see her in Rio. Preferably in one piece lol.

She looks to be a very strong vaulter and it's not like she's an 16 year old who might be swayed by her coach to do something, so I think if she's planning to do it, she must believe she can land it and score well with it. What a role model!

If her Produnova usually looks like the one in that Twitter post, then no, she is absolutely not ready to compete it. My opinion is, especially for a risky vault like this one, she needs to be able to land in a nice controlled position a large majority of the time for it to be safe, not in a deep squat or hitting the mat with her tush. It's just not worth it!

I understand the desire for difficulty, especially with the current code, but it should not come at the expense of the athlete's safety! Currently, far too many athletes are just going for difficulty while execution takes a back seat. I hope safety isn't next in the back seat. :(

Safety has taken a back seat on vault with several competitors for several years. They have been successful using this strategy, so it's not surprising that others are trying it now too. If the FIG didn't support it, they'd score those kamikaze vaults accordingly. They don't. So here we are...

I hope Chuso is okay...I don't want her to get hurt either.

I understand the desire for difficulty, especially with the current code, but it should not come at the expense of the athlete's safety! Currently, far too many athletes are just going for difficulty while execution takes a back seat. I hope safety isn't next in the back seat. :(

Safety has already taken a backseat... and the FIG put it their with their rules (judging, podium warm ups etc...)

I don't find Oksana's vault that scary in training as other attempts, at least she has some aerial awareness and knows when the floor is coming up to her feet/butt, and had a supersoft mat in.

she's also an adult of nearly forty years with aeons of experience in this sport as a coach and athlete. i think it is not anyone else's call to tell her to stop it. her life, her body, her risk. much different from a 16 year old girl listening to her coach.
True, but encouraging such vaults then puts the pressure on the younger girls to attempt them to remain competitive.

I've just seen another video of it, and she's still landing it squatting so deep her backside moves the soft mat she still has in place. Definitely not competition-ready!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back