WAG Clearhip drill- bad idea?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

BarCoach

Coach
Reaction score
Wondering if I could wrap something around the bar (was thinking a towel or two) that would go between the gymnasts hands. This would make it so they couldn't get their hips too close to the bar. It probably wouldn't help those trying to get closer to handstand but a couple if mine are still struggling with not doing back hip circles.
Just want to make sure there isn't any hidden safety issues I'm not thinking of.

You can use a piece of foam and one of the equipment companies has something manufactured like this. I think it was Neil Resnick that designed it.

At my gym we just use a pool noodle sliced open and tape it around the bar with a few strips of athletic tape because the thickness of the bar is a little thicker than the hole in the noodle. The same thing can be used in baby giants if they're closing their hips too much or smacking them on the bar.

This is the manufactured one.. Although I think there's a different one also

Resnick I used to use a pit cube he rigged to the bar before this was manufactured though. You have to be able to slide it in and out for the cast ( shown in the video on this page)

http://www.norberts.net/products/Resnick-Clear-Hip-Trainer

I think it has a place in training as one drill but need to master body tension on the drop first.

Thanks gymdog. After thinking it over and watching lots of videos, we're going to start over. More drills on specific parts and then we'll see where we are.

As Flips notes, my kids' gym also uses this sort of thing for training 3/4 giants, when they're at the stage of "get around the bar somehow and violently fold themselves in half on the other side." No significant hip/torso bruising for either of mine during that phase of training. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back