Parents Competition Hair

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

My Oldest dd's first competition is just over a week away and I have begun to think about how she will have her hair for this, I am going to ask dd's coach if there is a set style she has to have and then go from there, don't worry this in not a thread asking about styles (there is a few of those around the forums already), I am posting to ask advice about hair products like hair spray or gel etc that is best to use and will keep her hair in place, I am from the uk so any suggestion that you may have need to be available over here. My dd has long dark hair that is nearly waist length with no fringe and her hair is quite thick.

What moves will she be doing ? When P&F was doing forward rolls I steered away from ponytails and buns on the back of the head.

When she was younger two french plaits, now a high ponytail that its then split into 4 plaits.

We don't use products as she is allergic, but I do see a lot of glitter spray at meets

Dampen the hair first, then use liberal amounts of extreme hold gel to slick it back into whatever style you're doing. dd's is in her room and she's asleep, but I think it's a blue and see-through tube. Once it's back in the pony tail, plaits, bun or whatever else you're doing, just slick over the front bit again with gel (so long as it isn't wet look it wont look too shiny) and then blast the whole thing with hairspray until you can't see your hand in front of your face. We use Elnet supreme hold.

I then also use simple hairgrips the colour of dd's hair (the type you get on cards of 50), just to trap any bits which might get wispy round the front, but tbh her hair has always stayed rock solid.

She used to want it lightly sprayed with glitter spray (Claire's accessories) and I used to do that when we got to the comp as it rubs off in/on the car!

dd's hair is also very thick and long.

My DD puts some hair paste in it first. Her hairstylist recommended it. It helps the hair go back without the wispies. Then she uses gel, and after she gets it all fixed, she plasters it with Aussie Freeze spray. Not sure if you have that brand there. Then she uses glitter spray. It is quite the process and takes some time!

Dampen the hair first, then use liberal amounts of extreme hold gel to slick it back into whatever style you're doing. dd's is in her room and she's asleep, but I think it's a blue and see-through tube. Once it's back in the pony tail, plaits, bun or whatever else you're doing, just slick over the front bit again with gel (so long as it isn't wet look it wont look too shiny) and then blast the whole thing with hairspray until you can't see your hand in front of your face. We use Elnet supreme hold.

I then also use simple hairgrips the colour of dd's hair (the type you get on cards of 50), just to trap any bits which might get wispy round the front, but tbh her hair has always stayed rock solid.

She used to want it lightly sprayed with glitter spray (Claire's accessories) and I used to do that when we got to the comp as it rubs off in/on the car!

dd's hair is also very thick and long.

I am hoping to be able to do dd's hair in two bunches and then do buns (Princess Leah Style lol) with scrunchies wrapped round in the colour of her leotard as that is how she has been having it for practice as she has a forward roll in her floor routine. Is the blue see-through tube Alberto Balsam or VO5? I will see if I can get some of the hair spray you recommend and as for glitter spray I will ask dd's coach if they are allowed to use it.

Thanks for the suggestions

Ok, morning rush over - it's VO5 firm hold styling gel. The elnet hairspray is nice because it isn't too sticky and the fragrance is lighter than some brands.

So I would slap gel through the hair after you've brushed it through and parted it but just before you put it in the bunches. Sort out the buns. Then smooth more gel over the top of the head and blitz with the spray. Make sure you allow yourself plenty of time.

I got so nervous about doing dd's hair for the first camp. We had a practice run for her control comp, which went fine, but even so I was fumbling so much on the morning of the real thing I got the comb tangled in her hair and snapped half the teeth off. Good job one of us stayed calm, but that person wasn't me!!

Good luck for the comp - hope you both really enjoy it.

tbh I never use any sprays.gel etc, but then I can't wash her hair so I don't put gunk in. I would invest in some screw pins if you are bunning, so much better than kirby grips

A a suggestion for long thick hair is one ponytail. Split into two strands. Braid one strand into a bun and pin then braid and wrap the other around the first braid and pin. Use several pony holders in child's hair color too. Spray (cheap heavy hold spray). Then top it with her scrunchie or hair piece for competition. I know some people say not to use pins but with extremely long hair you need the extra help/hold. Practice doing it before competition so its less stress for you and your gymnast.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back