Parents Competitions several weeks in a row

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

OzZee

Proud Parent
Reaction score
As you seem to do many more competitions in the US than here I was wondering if anyone had the experience of doing several weekends straight with comps?
With two sports one of my daughters may have as many as 6 weekends in a row (and as most of our comps are Sundays that would make for a 7 day week thing for her)

I just wondered if anyone had done anything like that and if their child found it particularly emotionally tiring? (doesn't have to be gymnastics, could be dance or martial arts etc, but just being in that kind of competitive environment every weekend without a break for a number of weeks)

Yes, totally exhausting for kid and parents (though not necessarily in that order). DD did well this year though, and pushed through, raising her score at each successive meet. I am hoping (though not hopeful) that when we get next year's meet schedule at next week's parent meeting that it will be more spread out.

More exhausting for me than for my energizer bunny. We had 3 back to back in Jan/Feb then a week off and then a travel (flight) meet!

For the last 3 years we have had about 2 months (usually Jan and Feb) with a meet every week with maybe one week off. And, most of the meets were travel meets. Racking up the frequent flier points.

Our compulsories do up to 3 weeks in a row, (no more because I would go insane). but I like time off between meets for the optionals.

We usually have one every other weekend but last season did have three in in four weeks and it SUCKED!!!!!

Lol Mary yes I think I am worrying more about my stamina.
At least we don't have travel - all within an hour, lol I complain about an hours trip.
Also have the fact that my other daughters comps will no doubt be at totally different ends of the weekend and I have no help with the kids for a month of it.

Think we will need a holiday at the end!! But guess can only try and see how it goes.
Nice to hear that people have survived that sort of schedule.

In January we almost always have three in a row on of them requiring air travel. The other two still are 3-4 hours away but EVERYTHING is 3-4 hours from here so we've stopped counting those :). DD seems to handle it just fine, Mom and Dad are tired of the travel by the end. We do try not to do that to the older optionals but sometimes if they want different competition they have to.

Last edited:
As a coach, I do not like to schedule more than back to back competitions or say maybe, if I have to, 3 competitions in a month. I prefer 2.

At one gym, one of my star gymnasts also played soccer on weekends and did TnT. So by the end of the season, he was worn out. The parents wanted to do it, especially as they were used to being busy having 3 or 4, maybe 5 kids.

Bare in mind, he had just turned 7.

Personally, I just think it is extremely stupid to get crazy about the meets but it's very prevalent in the mindset in the US. Look at the collegiate gymnastics competition schedule. It's great for the sport but poor for an Elite and optimal training

As you seem to do many more competitions in the US than here I was wondering if anyone had the experience of doing several weekends straight with comps?
With two sports one of my daughters may have as many as 6 weekends in a row (and as most of our comps are Sundays that would make for a 7 day week thing for her)

I just wondered if anyone had done anything like that and if their child found it particularly emotionally tiring? (doesn't have to be gymnastics, could be dance or martial arts etc, but just being in that kind of competitive environment every weekend without a break for a number of weeks)

6 in a row are too many.

I agree that 6 competitions in a row seem like too many but if you notice the OP's initial post, it says that the daughter has "two sports" that are contributing to the 6 weeks in a row of competition...so it's not that she has 6 meets in 6 weeks but is tied up for 6 weekends between 2 sports that are in season at the same time....I don't think it's unreasonable that each sport or activity would have 3 meets/games while in season...I guess it all boils down to how do you want to spend your time?

bookworm - yes, they are three each, each one nicely planned with a weekend off in between, lol. (probably would have been better if more weekends clashed and she had to make a choice, we only had one clash over the 6 weeks).

I'm finding it a lot to get my head around as gymnastics season isn't such a big thing here, 3-4 comps in total, and I've found that exhausting, and usually it's spaced out over a couple of months not in one big blob like this year.

Oh well I guess if it was cricket it would be every Saturday for months, lol, so I shouldn't complain.

bookworm - yes, they are three each, each one nicely planned with a weekend off in between, lol. (probably would have been better if more weekends clashed and she had to make a choice, we only had one clash over the 6 weeks).

I'm finding it a lot to get my head around as gymnastics season isn't such a big thing here, 3-4 comps in total, and I've found that exhausting, and usually it's spaced out over a couple of months not in one big blob like this year.

Oh well I guess if it was cricket it would be every Saturday for months, lol, so I shouldn't complain.

And Sunday to catch up the saturdays missed due to rain !

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

it says that the daughter has "two sports" that are contributing to the 6 weeks in a row of competition

Still dumb but depends on the sporting event and travel time.

Wouldn't be as dumb if it was virtually any other sport. Thing is, the non stop weekend competition is a great way to burnout.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back