WAG Could I be on team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been doing gymnastics for five months, and really love it. However, I am 14. I really want to do team, but am nervous about the time commitment, as I am also a dancer. Here are my skills:
Vault:
Forward Roll
Handstand Flat Back
Bars:
Front hip circle
Cast
Close to Pullover
Back Hip Circle with Spotter
Beam:
Tuck Jump
Split Jump
Straddle Jump
Straight Jump
1/2 pivot turn
squat 1/2 turn
side handstand
Floor:
handstand
handstand forward roll
front walkover
backbend
back kickover
forward roll
backward roll (sometimes)
cartwheel (it's bad)

I also have a right split.

So, I know I don't have a ton of skills. I want to know the following
1) do I have a chance of being a USAG gymnast? I know the current level 4 (next year's level 3) might be within reach?
2) do i have a chance of being a JOGA level 6 gymnast (It's in NJ)?
3) How long are practices (approx) for the above?
I'm going to a gymnastics camp this summer, but I really want to be on a team next year!

Last year, you could have been on the Prep Op team at our gym but we aren't doing PO anymore so that wouldn't be an option. Fair or not, your age combined with current skills would exclude you from being on our JO team. Our oldest current L4 is 11.

But not all gyms would care about your age. We do compete against teams who have pretty old L3s and L4s.

All I can say is talk to your gym. Some gyms have programs that might allow for it others don't. Ours does I think it's part of AAU called future stars or something. It's teen girls its all optional but for lower level skills. They get their own floor music.They only compete like 2 or 3 local meets. They compete all 4 events plus trampoline and they only go once or twice a week for an hour.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Have you thought about maybe doing xcel? No offense, (but given your age) JO might not be the best track for you. In xcel I've noticed they have a lot more girls your age...

I agree. I'd look at Xcel. New level 3 you have to have a ROBHS, and you definitely need a pull over with straight legs. I also think that you will probably see more older girls in Xcel than you will in level 2 or 3.

With your current skills you should be able to do xcel bronze now. Sound like you are learning quickly. I bet you could do silver in a year.

My DD is a little older than you and has the same question. Our gym doesn't do xcel..but we asked about the USAG program and they said that she could possibly compete Level 3 next year if she got all the skills needed over the summer. Our gym doesn't care too much about age but definitely ask your gym. Level 4 (next year's Level 3) practices for 8 hours a week at our gym.

I'm 13 and will be 14 in less than a month. I've been doing gymnastics for one month and my coach just talked to me about team. I have more skills than you but at the same time you have a few more skills than me! I can't do a backbend kickover, a bridge from standing, or a front walkover. I'm at a Y that actually is competitive and progressive. I'm working on my BHS and making my FHS straighter. I thought I wouldn't be able to because of my age too but apparently not! Keep going! Or go to a gym that doesn't care about age.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using ChalkBucket mobile app

Does your gym have a usaigc team? I'm 14, almost 15 and I'm moving up to silver. At the moment it looks like you have the skills for copper, but if you work out all summer, you could probably compete bronze. Last season my team trained 2.5 hours twice a week because we were all bronze (and 1 copper). The suggested hourly commitment is on the usaigc website.

Sent from my iPod touch using ChalkBucket mobile app :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back