Coaches Curiosity - No Dr. am I

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

emacmommy

I wanted to know if any other coaches out there are seeing an increase in children, in any sport really, being diagnosed with stress fractures to the growth plate(s), any joint?

It seems that in our community this is the easy answer to non obvious nagger aches and pains in our children athletes. I have a handful over the past year that have recieved this answer from various physicians, general physicians and our one ortho in town. It's getting to be for me that I feel they are taking the easy way out. Something to tell a parent/child to get them to take 2 - 4 wks off until a nagger subsides. Then all okay, no physical therapy, just hope it doesn't happen again. A means to an end.

I don't ever remember these diagonoses growing up, and I trained with a group that practiced 25+ hrs per week. Maybe I don't understand the injury and the triggers very well. If so, someone inform me.

I haven't noticed an increase in stress fractures, but I have noticed an increase in doctors notes from nagging pain. The notes are always full clearance to work, just a notice to stop at pain. That's how I act on nagging pains to begin with so it doesn't bother me. I guess what I notice is an increased willingness to go the doctor for fear a nagger is something worse? My parents were the total opposite. If there was no swelling, bleeding, or bruising I took an advil and kept at it. It doesn't bother me, but 2-4 weeks at a 'nagger' could get old...I guess if the parents and the gymnast realize that 2-4 weeks is significant and to have realistic expectations coming out of it then that's all you can hope for.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back