Parents DD's Transition from Gym to Dance

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, we've (yeah, part of it is me) been out of gym for about a week now. DD has had no problem transitioning out. Has been tough for me... But, I'm finally where I should be as her Mom.

Her last meet had some seriously lopsided scoring (as in NJ teams >9.5, PA teams <8.6 for clean routines) so it was a low scoring meet for DD but she got 3rd on beam (my beam queen) despite that and went 4 for 4 with no falls or major mistakes. She had a great time and was very relaxed. I was very happy that she had a positive last meet.

We decided her last practice would be the Tuesday after the meet (she was unable to attend practice on Monday) and this would give her a chance to say goodbye. This would also alleviate pressure to stay from her Coaches as she was very set on her decision after a meeting with the Coaches, many talks with Mom, and a couple of chats with the team director. Everyone has been very supportive of her decision and no one has been mad at her, which she was afraid of. So it has been an excellent exit.

She is taking 2 gym classes at dance (of which she is the star-skill wise, of both, LOL) and 1 Lyrical class. They've already approached her about joining the Competition team which she is really interested in doing. So she will do dance in the summer, but get this... it is a 5 week session and she'll have the rest of the summer OFF!!!! So different than gym!!! I work three weekends a month and am off all week so we should have a very enjoyable summer together.

She has a white board for school and she wrote on they're Kayla, the Dancer and former Gymnast... So she is pretty happy thus far.

She does want to take a tumbling class with a fun rec coach at her gym, but is taking some time to adjust before we jump in to that...

I'm taking a page out of NettyinPA's book and we're training for a 5K together. It really is nice to do stuff with her. Not saying if she changed her mind tomorrow that I wouldn't let her or support her... But, I'm really enjoying the quality time that we're spending together.

She put me through her ab circuit and then the National team warmup so looks like I may be in better shape as a result of this transition. She is really interested in fitness because she's learned how important strength and flexibility are through gym and I'm glad that she wants to continue with her fitness.

So... so far so good. Feels good to be back here (had to stay away, cause it hurt to watch her walk away from something she was so passionate about for so long).

Now off to go catch up on the other threads on this board...

Good for her and for you! How wonderful for your child to have such a smooth transition out of the sport. It sounds like she is doing very well! Also sounds like you will be in great shape yourself, LOL. I like hearing these stories because I am well aware this will be us someday. Gives me something to go on. :) Thanks for the update@

I am so glad to hear that the transition is going well :). I SO know what you mean about the dance being so different than gym. I, too am learning how different dance is from gym (especially in the summer). DD is now in the process of auditioning for SI's (Summer Intensives). They can range from 1 week to 6 week "intense" dance training camps mostly in NYC. This weekend dd is auditioning for the SAB (School of American Ballet) SI and then next few weekends are Joffrey, Bolshoi and The Rock School. She may not do all of them, but the audition experience itself is so worthwhile at this age (at least what I have heard). I thought gymnastics was tough with their summer camps but at least you don't have to go through the whole audition process first before you even know if you got in!

Competition teams sounds so fun for your dd!! My dd is also in the process of learning the different styles so she will have some experience under her belt for June auditions later--she is also interested in joining competition dance team.

Dance is a whole new world, huh??

I am glad you came back to give us an update!!! Keep in touch and feel free to PM me if you want to talk dance!!

I've been thinking about the whole dance world for my DD as well. Her favorite event is floor and all the acrobatics, what type of dance incorporates the gymnastics piece for an 8-9 year old? I live in Colorado.

I've been thinking about the whole dance world for my DD as well. Her favorite event is floor and all the acrobatics, what type of dance incorporates the gymnastics piece for an 8-9 year old? I live in Colorado.

In my experience, a lot of jazz routines incorporate cartwheels and aerials. There are also acro dance routines that incorporate a lot of this tumbling with contortionism and balance holds (think rythmic gymnastics). Every studio is different so you kind of have to ask around. My dd's ballet studio knows she was a gymnast and incorporates the cartwheels and walkovers into the routines if it fits with the theme.

I'm sorry the last meet wasn't the best, but sounds like she ended on a positive note, clean routines are good! Not sure which NJ teams you were up against but we have a couple that made my DD's team look like the "bad news bears" last weekend at states, LOL

Sounds like she is very into dance and it will be a fun transition for her and she is excited. The running is good, but my best advice, get GOOD running sneakers!!!!! My daughter sat out 1/2 this past season for stress fractures (3)in the growth plate below her knee caused from running. Good luck and keep us posted!

Lyrical dance has some acro in it also. My DD is doing front walkovers in her lyrical routine.

I'm sorry the last meet wasn't the best, but sounds like she ended on a positive note, clean routines are good! Not sure which NJ teams you were up against but we have a couple that made my DD's team look like the "bad news bears" last weekend at states, LOL

Sounds like she is very into dance and it will be a fun transition for her and she is excited. The running is good, but my best advice, get GOOD running sneakers!!!!! My daughter sat out 1/2 this past season for stress fractures (3)in the growth plate below her knee caused from running. Good luck and keep us posted!

As to the scores. There were some good teams there, but I didn't see anyone that made me go ooh or aah. Scores on floor were as high as 9.75. My daughter had a clean routine great leaps, great FHS, good BHSBHS, etc. and got an 8.55. One of the lowest scores she's ever gotten on floor. They also kept flashing the wrong scores. Which didn't help with the feeling that something wasn't right. Really felt like something hokey was going on.

But.... c'est la vie(sp?) She chalked it up to Gymnastics and moved on.

Yes, got her the correct running shoes for her foot type. Thanks for making sure I know that! Very important!

Thanks everyone for all your replies... I'll be hang in' around...

It sounds like this is a really good thing for both of you! :)
Dance is great and yes, very different from gym. I find it SOOO much more relaxing and peaceful to watch dance. My DD is doing competition dance this year also and auditioning for a middle school of the arts in ballet. Next year, she is going to have to choose between gym and dance. She loves both...it is so hard! Glad your DD's decision has so far been a great one.

I am glad the transition is going well!! It seems like many great things will come your way with the new change! It's so odd, your dd's transitioning to dance and mine is just a new gymmie. While I support her I am not looking forward to when gym will take up more and more of her time or the injuries that can happen.

I guess as parents we can only support them, huh?

You're doing wonderful and enjoy all the together time!!

Glad to hear both of you are adjusting. My daughter is doing the same adjusting very well to life outside of gymnastics. I think she really likes the variety of doing many activites including dance both regular and irish, along with swim and cheerleading. It seems like there are so many oppurtunites out there that I did not realize existed outside of gymnastics. I still very much miss the closeness of the gym families and the excitement of the meets. Daughter went to her teammates meet a few weeks back enjoyed but she told me she does not miss the pressure she would feel competing. I really am really enjoying daughters irish dancing she got invited to perform with a local irish band and will be dancing at a nursing home and I am looking forward to both my girls in their yearly recital in June they are both doing point and a duet. I am also looking forward to more free time this summer and daughter doing swim team but I am dreading her cheerleading competition this weekend in my mind it does not compare to gymnastics well see. Good Luck with your daughter and dance I love how in dance there seems to be so many oppurtunities to perform for fun but their is also the competition aspect.

I'm a contemporary/modern dance/jazz teacher and I love discovering when one of my students has acrobatic skills. Really, any dancing that isn't ballet can incorporate some degree of acrobatics, even tap and hip hop! It just really depends if her teacher/choreographer knows that she has those skills. My own DD is also in dance team, and her teacher loves incorporating tumbling passes into their big group routines just for her. So by all means let your daughter's teacher know that she has some tricks up her sleeve.

And then down the line, if she continues dancing to teenagerdom, her acrobatics (and strong core necessary to perform such acrobatics) will serve her very well in partner work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back