Parents dealing with the sweets, etc. & team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

emorymom

Proud Parent
Reaction score
My daughter has really bad teeth. We had some luck initially hardening them up last summer but then this fall things started sliding downhill.

She is on calcium pills and vitamins D and K2. I just started the K2 and hope that it really helps at least her new teeth to come in hard and strong. Sugar is very limited. I do let her eat some chocolate because it's not clear that it doesn't help with cavities overall, but prefer and do use mostly sugar free (alcohol sugar sweetened) chocolate. I have even cut down grains severely. And believe me I miss pizza nights and it's only been about two weeks. My kids are mouthwashed, flossed, brushed, and ADA approved chewing gummed constantly.

In gym, I don't want to make a big deal about it but it hurts my heart to be making her give away / throw away the candy and other stuff she's given. And I am not fond of the post-meet tantrums over same (because she is tired and hungry and six). She's been given candy, sugar sweetened drinks, etc. after every meet and a teammate gave her candy at Valentine's Day etc. But if I don't ...

And it's not just gymnastics of course; but gym is the biggest challenge right now. [I was pretty shocked when I found out the swim team hands out pixie sticks for good workouts. What the ...]

Yesterday the team "trophy" for second place at a gym meet was a huge chocolate chip cookie cake.

Has anyone dealt with this kind of stuff with a child with tooth decay or diabetes or overweight, and do you have any suggestions? It is unreasonable for gymnastics to be this culture of sugar, or is it unreasonable for me to say anything else? I have asked her coach not to give her candy at practice and that's been complied with; I've brought her coach natural, no-sugar candies to substitute if she wants. I am very hesitant to ask for her to have special treatment besides what I already have. That is to say, I've asked that she not get candy at practice because of her teeth and that she be allowed / encouraged to eat something like a string cheese from her bag at some point before or after the competitive session so that I don't get a hypoglycemic maniac back after 3-4 hours at a meet.

It sounds like you are doing all the right things by providing alternatives. Rather than have her throw away any candy she is given I would introduce an exchange system for her. For every piece she hands you , award her something better. Like a dollar towards a new leo, stars towards a treat like the cinema or a sleepover. I think if you make the exchange worth while she will be really positive about it. I have taught many children with restricted diets for many reasons and they are usually very accepting. Keep reminding her she is doing to preserve her beautiful smile.

It might be worth asking at a parents meeting or something if other parents would like a reduction in sweet treats. You may find many other families would like a reduction in sugary treats too.

I think you are doing a great job. Hubby is a dentist so I empathise completely with you. My kids rarely eat candy, they love chocolate and ice cream and that helps. I like gymnuts suggestion about trading the candy for other things, but at some point learning that stuff is bad for everyone is a good thing.

Can you have a chat with the gym and see if they will substitute sugar free gum as the reward, that stuff is actually good for their teeth as it makes the saliva flow and clears out food particles between the teeth.

I have to say the need to constanly reward kids with food is irritating can they just be happy they did a great job.

Emorymom, have you done any research on the cause of your daughter's teeth woes? You sound like you have done a great job in helping her teeth so far, but I always wonder what causes such problems if diet is not to blame?? Perhaps she is not absorbing bone-building nutrients adequately, or maybe she just has weak enamel? I hope you have good luck in reducing the candy give-outs without any tears.

I certainly have tried to research, hence the supplements and diet. Frankly the dentists are not much help. Any ideas, I'm open. This is her only "health problem."

We have had a few issues with my oldest daughter. She has had a couple of cavities. We went to the pediactric dentist. He teeth have been great since we started using him. She had a tooth erupt with a hole in it-malformed tooth. The general dentist took bad xrays. Missed the tooth. Told us all was well. Fast forward 6 most to next general dentist visit-massive cavity. Switched to pediactric dentist. They showed us the original xrays. Were shocked. Hundreds of dollars later the tooth was corrected. We have never gone back to the general dentist again for the kiddos. Their dentist put fillers on their teeth. This has helped a lot. No more cavities. :) HTH

Do some research on xylitol. It is probably in the gum they use, so that is good. If they are tired of gym though, there are mints. My girls have problem teeth as well and we are trying this. Soon we will be trying this protocol to help remineralize their teeth.

Link Removed

This is her Clean White Teeth program

Link Removed

I don't know I will exactly buy Zellies, but the ideas from it. We use Xylitol mints, gum and sometimes the crystals to sweeten things. I also put a little of the Xylitol crystals in Abby's water at gym, about 1/2-1tsp, depending.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I order xylitol by the 5lb bag. Have not seen a cessation of cavities.

The fillers I was speaking about are officially called dental sealants. :) They help a lot. :)

We have this problem with my 4 year old dd. It is not due to teeth issues but allergy issues. She is pretty good at telling people "no" when she knows for sure it is on her list of banned sweets-foods. She can't have prepackaged snacks, cookies, most crackers, breads, raisins, Little Debbie, Hostess, or any cake, cupcake or cookie made in a bakery. There is more to the list but this is the type of thing that we come up against frequently. Sometimes she does cry when other kids get to have it. It makes me crazy when I am not given advanced warning so there is no option for an alternative. Sometimes she will have something new and be allergic to it so I have to figure out what she had and that can be scary. I feel for the kids but it sounds like you are going about it the right way.

I order xylitol by the 5lb bag. Have not seen a cessation of cavities.

Oh, that is a bummer. Xylitol seems to have slowed down Abby's some, but we are going to try Dr. Ellie's protocol, though modified as it will only be Crest, listerine, act and xylitol, not the other product as I haven't seen it around here, though eventually I want to add the Closys.

Hopefully your DDs permanent teeth will come in nice and strong. That is my hope with my girls as well.

Does your whole family do the Xylitol? That has been the hardest as DH isn't the best at compliance. He has a cavity he needs to have filled, but hasn't, and that doesn't help having those cavity germs in the house. I try to keep him from sharing stuff with them though.

I think you hit the nail on the head though. Many kids because of diabetes, allergies to nuts/etc, can't have certain things. It isn't fun or fair, but it is life. Her teeth are important and the rules you are placing are for her good. She is 6, but she will eventually understand. Still won't be fair, but again, many kids have things in life they deal with that make their lives not as fun. I always tend to mention these types of situations with my kids when they complain about whatever thing they are complaining about. It could always be worse.

Good luck. It really seems like you are doing absolutely everything that you can to help her.

It definitely is a pretty good idea to bring this up at the gym. DH and I have been pretty lucky re our kids health, but as a general rule our kids eat fruits and the like instead of candies and sugary things (almost always...;-)). I used to teach middle school and now I really hate it when food and candy are used as a reinforcer, it can set up a whole slew of problems when its done too much. There are tons of other, healthier ways to reward and reinforce. Congrats for sticking to your guns!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back