Deduction for Swearing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
Well yesterday at training, our coach told us that if you fall of and say "s**t" or "F***" or any swear word there is a 0.3 deduction.

Because what happened at our gym was that in a team competition, one of the boys swore as he fell of pommel and their team then came 2nd all around. However they came 2nd all around by 0.1 so if this boy had not sworn they would have come first.

what do you think of the deduction and do you have it where you are?

I have always wondered this myself because I have had a few gems come out o my mouth when I fall sometimes. Luckily having younger team girls helps keep it under the breath...unless they can read lips. Good question!!

I don't believe there is a specific deduction for swearing, but there is a general deduction for unsportsmanlike conduct. And if I were a judge, I would certainly take that deduction if a kid swore when he fell.

I was at a power tumbling meet when a competitor (granted he was an adult, not that that makes it okay) dropped the f bomb half way through his full. It was very loud, I know the judges heard, I don't know if he got a deduction but I had my coach cracking up when I asked her what the specific deduction for dropping the f- bomb during your full was.

I thought the deduction was just for any talking. Maybe it has to be seen as communication between the coach and gymnast. There's definitely a deduction for that. Although I agree either way a deduction should be applied for unsportsmanlike behavior.

Well yesterday at training, our coach told us that if you fall of and say "s**t" or "F***" or any swear word there is a 0.3 deduction.

Because what happened at our gym was that in a team competition, one of the boys swore as he fell of pommel and their team then came 2nd all around. However they came 2nd all around by 0.1 so if this boy had not sworn they would have come first.

what do you think of the deduction and do you have it where you are?

Well I'm not sure I agree with the deduction. When your falling you never know what will pop out of a mouth as much of the time it is more reactive than intentional. I think it to censor yourself when the ground is coming up to hit you in the face is very difficult for an adult never mind a kid. Now if the kid mouthed off or used those words to another gymnast intentionally or just as normal conversation every other word is a profanity I definitly think something should be done and a deduction to the AA score.

I can honestly say I've never heard any profanity from gymnasts (both boys and girls) at any meet I've been at so if they are doing it then I would say its under their breath.

I thought the deduction was just for any talking. Maybe it has to be seen as communication between the coach and gymnast. There's definitely a deduction for that. Although I agree either way a deduction should be applied for unsportsmanlike behavior.

There's a deduction for coaching, and there is a separate deduction for unsportsmanlike conduct. Swearing would fall in the second category (for me, at least).

I would like to respecfully disagree with Cher062 on this question. I think swearing during any game or competition should be noted as 'unsportsmanlike conduct', but especially so in gymnastics. This is a sport that is all about form and style and presentation and a swearword would most certainly detract from this. I don't agree that it should be excused as a slip of the tounge or 'unintentional'. If that were so, then wouldn't a fall from the beam be 'unintentional' as well. JMHO.

Deductions should be taken only for actual mistakes in the gymnastics. I know swearing is rude, but there's a fine line between deduction and bias. I believe that if there are going to deductions for things other then falls/form breaks/etc, they should be related to the safety of the gymnast (for example, no earrings or nail polish).

Yeah, but not having nail polish isn't really a safety issue. It's just distracting and not done. You're not really supposed to be talking at all in gymnastics (unless moving away from the apparatus to speak to the coach), so swearing is pretty far outside the bounds of expected conduct. Gymnasts are supposed to be doing their routine and not expressing frustration, surprise, etc verbally or facially. It's just like an integrity of the sport thing.

I think swearing should be a deduction. Yes, it has nothing to do with the gymnast's performance but football players can get penalties for fighting or cussing at other players which has nothing to do with their performance as a football player either.

Deductions should be taken only for actual mistakes in the gymnastics. I know swearing is rude, but there's a fine line between deduction and bias. I believe that if there are going to deductions for things other then falls/form breaks/etc, they should be related to the safety of the gymnast (for example, no earrings or nail polish).

I agree with you

Yeah, but not having nail polish isn't really a safety issue. It's just distracting and not done. You're not really supposed to be talking at all in gymnastics (unless moving away from the apparatus to speak to the coach), so swearing is pretty far outside the bounds of expected conduct. Gymnasts are supposed to be doing their routine and not expressing frustration, surprise, etc verbally or facially. It's just like an integrity of the sport thing.

Actually the nail polish is a safety issue. your nail beds can't be seen with polish and if you have a bad fall or injury seeing the nail beds is important. Its hard to see if they are turning blue with floresent orange polish on them.

I have to respectfully disagree with the facial expressions etc. These are just young kids. Having self control is one thing but not being able to show happiness or what ever I just don't agree with. Heck even at the olympics you see gymnasts sad, happy, frustraited etc. Its only natural. I don't want a robot I want a kid who shows they are enjoying themselves if that means a deduction so be it.

I don't have a problem with a deduction for swearing and I hope if my dd ever utters such those kind of words that she gets a deduction. In our house, swearing is a penalty and the person who commited the offence has to pay a fine. Needless to say it's not something that happens much.

Really? I remember in level 5 a girl on my team had nail polish and a meet official approached her at the end of the meet and informed her that she had lost .4 (a tenth for each event) because she had nail polish on. The judges need this to be clarified!

At the end of last season I went to a great session for parents run by one of the top judges in our state and she told me that she always giggles a little when girls are running around like crazy before a meet looking for nail polish remover.

She then showed us this site that explained there is no deduction. But, she still doesn't like to see it on girls because of the distraction. And because it is invariably chipped and looks messy and if a girl is trying to show the cleanest line possible, why would she mess that up with bright blue fingernails.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back