WAG Deductions for Extra Steps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

vagymmomma

Proud Parent
What is the maximum deduction that a gymnast can be assessed for extra steps on landings (in particular for L8 - L10)? I'm really curious about vault where I've seen some girls practically run forward on landings, but I am interested in all apparatus. Do the same deductions apply for compulsory and optional routines? For some reason, I was thinking some events had caps (i.e., on floor .3 per tumbling run and maybe .4 for vault), but I'm not sure if that was just for compulsory or if I'm just dreaming. I recall that the deduction may be different for big or small steps, so if a gymnast takes two REALLY big steps it seems like that could really hurt scores if not capped. Any thoughts would be appreciated - just curious after seeing some crazy L8 vaults.

I am pretty sure that (at least on vault, beam, and bars) the deduction for steps is capped @ 0.4 (4 small steps or 2 large steps). On floor, it may or may not be capped at 0.4 for each pass (or the whole routine)... I am not sure which.

JO code book says- on floor extra steps (small) on landing (maximum of 4) is 0.1 EACH so it is capped at 0.4 per landing. If it is a large step approximately 3 feet the deduction is 0.2 each time.
It is the same for the vault.

JO code book says- on floor extra steps (small) on landing (maximum of 4) is 0.1 EACH so it is capped at 0.4 per landing. If it is a large step approximately 3 feet the deduction is 0.2 each time. ... but it says this is also capped at 0.4.
It is the same for the vault.

I have always been told that they can only deduct for up to 3 steps and after that they can;t take anything.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back