WAG Difficult decision

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

All Chalked Up

Coach
Gymnast
Reaction score
The last few months I have been pondering about whether or not I want/I'm able to continue artistic gymnastics.

I love gymnastics so much, but I'm very fed up with a lack of progress (due to one part injuries, one part equipment & one part coaching) & the gym itself. Switching gyms, unfortunately, is not an option.

I really don't want to retire because I am still in love with the sport but I am just so tired of some of things that go on!

I thought about trying T&T since I love all three events, but I'm not sure if I could deal with the coach. I'm not making a rash judgement on this coach since he was one of my coaches last year.

Should I stick it out this year & see how it goes? Switch out to T&T? I don't really know what to do & require advice!

Get healed up, even if that means taking a week or month off. Work on conditioning and flexibility while you're "off" and then get back to it with every bit of energy you can muster.

You say coaching is part of the problem so figure out a way to ask the coach for more help, or even another guess about what you need to do to learn or improve a skill.... yes, coaches guess sometimes. Ask them if they think you're trying to use their help to change a skill to what it should be, and if they don't see the effort to change you gotta believe them and do the skill differently until you find a "differently" that works for you and your coach.

Good luck.

Get healed up, even if that means taking a week or month off. Work on conditioning and flexibility while you're "off" and then get back to it with every bit of energy you can muster.

You say coaching is part of the problem so figure out a way to ask the coach for more help, or even another guess about what you need to do to learn or improve a skill.... yes, coaches guess sometimes. Ask them if they think you're trying to use their help to change a skill to what it should be, and if they don't see the effort to change you gotta believe them and do the skill differently until you find a "differently" that works for you and your coach.

Good luck.
Currently in the process of healing, taking two weeks off & seeing the doctor then we'll go from there.

I have talked to my coach before about my goals & even different techniques for skills (I'm also a coach & coach alongside her) but she doesn't like it when I do so. I also feel like she isn't teaching me the skills I need in order to move up a level and reach my goals.

Very frustrated.

From someone who retired at the end of June:

I had to stop due to my body being done, and also being done high school and taking time off of schooling to work I just had to have more time to work and move on in life. If I wasn't always hurting I think I would have stuck it out one more year trying to find other times to work and etc.

I retired when I still loved the sport and never wanted to stop, I am now coaching a competitive group that I used to train with. It has been weird to make the transition and I miss it everyday but I know that it was time to be done.

Once you are healed up and making progress or even try and stick it out till Christmas and see what happens. If when all is done you still want to quit then maybe it is time. Everyone says that if you love it, you shouldn't be done yet. But with me that wasn't true.

You say you don't like the coaching techniques then maybe if you decide you are done training, you can move into coaching and make the program better for the younger girls moving up.

Just because you are done training and competing doesn't mean you have to leave the sport. There are so many opportunities you can have from coaching to judging to just being in rec or even just being a crazy gymnastics fan.

When you are truly done you will know deep down, you may try to deny it but once the decision in made you will know that it is right no matter how badly you don't want it to be the end.

Sorry this was so long, hope you make a decision and find a way to either meet your goals or find a new happiness in the sport.

From someone who retired at the end of June:

I had to stop due to my body being done, and also being done high school and taking time off of schooling to work I just had to have more time to work and move on in life. If I wasn't always hurting I think I would have stuck it out one more year trying to find other times to work and etc.

I retired when I still loved the sport and never wanted to stop, I am now coaching a competitive group that I used to train with. It has been weird to make the transition and I miss it everyday but I know that it was time to be done.

Once you are healed up and making progress or even try and stick it out till Christmas and see what happens. If when all is done you still want to quit then maybe it is time. Everyone says that if you love it, you shouldn't be done yet. But with me that wasn't true.

You say you don't like the coaching techniques then maybe if you decide you are done training, you can move into coaching and make the program better for the younger girls moving up.

Just because you are done training and competing doesn't mean you have to leave the sport. There are so many opportunities you can have from coaching to judging to just being in rec or even just being a crazy gymnastics fan.

When you are truly done you will know deep down, you may try to deny it but once the decision in made you will know that it is right no matter how badly you don't want it to be the end.

Sorry this was so long, hope you make a decision and find a way to either meet your goals or find a new happiness in the sport.
I'm actually already coaching pre-school to pre-comp! I love it but it's not the same as training. I'll probably do this year (I don't really have a choice) and next year hopefully get into T&T... I really do not want to leave artistic though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back