Parents Dips

• Thread starter Thread starter Ex member
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
E

Ex member

My youngest dd has testing again next week (they were tested around 3 months ago), they will get tested on

Dips from p bars
Chin ups from p bars
Leg lifts from p bars

The coach is wanting them to either improve or stay the same but not get any worse otherwise we will be called into a meeting to discuss what happens next.

Last time around my dd couldn't even do one dip on the p bar, she could lower herself but not get back up again, since the last test they have increased their sessions to twice a week, the only thing they sometimes work on is chin ups and occasional leg lifts on the stall bars (laying on a slope)

Dd could do a few chin ups and a few sloppy leg lifts last time.

Dd has been doing occasional dips between two chairs and she can do a few but only bends her arms a little while doing them, is it ok to practice dips between two chairs? If so how far should she really be bending her arms as she dips? If she can do at least 2 the proper way then all is well as she beat her score from last time.

I must admit that I am slightly worried about the test this time as it could mean being removed from the group if the coach is not happy with the progress, I know I shouldn't be as the coach gave me some good feedback last night after gym saying dd has got a lot stronger and more powerful and has come out of her shell a bit and thinks for herself (she noticed what dd did last week with the spotting block - mentioned in my back walker over thread)

It is natural to worry when your kids get tested for anything! Just wait til they sit GCSE and A levels!

But I am sure she will be fine sounds like she is doing well. Take up knitting for your nerves!

Dips are hard for girls.
She will get them, but will first get stronger with chin ups, and push ups.
An easy one is to do dips against a low coffee table, with legs out in front. Like a reverse push-up.

It is natural to worry when your kids get tested for anything! Just wait til they sit GCSE and A levels!

But I am sure she will be fine sounds like she is doing well. Take up knitting for your nerves!
Nervous by nature lol (gymnastics is the worst sport for me lol but it is so exciting) I was fine last time dd got tested, but this time it could result in her being removed from the group if she has got worse.

Personally I don't like the idea of testing to decide if they should remain in the group, it should go on how hard they are working in class and if they are improving (which dd is), anyone can have an off day, testing is fine for coaches records.

Dd is excited about the testing, I will let her go on her chin up bar when she wants to practice her chin ups and leg lifts and then see what happens next week.

TD, It's fine to allow to her do dips on chairs. I've used that method at home though I had a pair of barstools which were taller since I'm not 4' tall.

If she can only do 1 or 2, she should be doing more volume with what we call "bench" dips. Something on the order of 5-10 reps. She can still do the chair dips, but she will probably run into a dead end as they are too advanced for her ATM.

What she can also try is doing the chair dips from support to slowly as deep as she can go. Generally we look for the tricep being parallel or the hand being near the arm pit. Ideally, we are looking for a 3-10 negative/eccentric. She can then use her feet to jump back to support.

Another movement she should be working is tricep pushups with the elbows tucked in to the body instead of flared out.

Thanks, I will get her to give these a try, she is trying hard with dips between 2 chairs, she has managed 3 and is bending her arms a little bit better as she goes down, she has also managed to do 3 hanging pull-ups in both grips (she cannot get her chin to the bar - the coach said that doesn't matter at the moment, but she can get her head to the bar), on non gym days she is doing chin ups, leg lifts and chair dips twice a day as it is school holidays in the uk, she really wants to beat what she did at her last test.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back